PDA

View Full Version : Ontario is banning pesticides tommorrow.

bill8379
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
And, apparently, Quebec already has and has the toughest laws re. pesticides in North America.

They better still fog for Mosquitoes:canadaflag:

Anyway, I'm wondering what happens to Weedman and co.s like that when laws like this go into effect. I was thinking of offering this service, I live in Manitoba so we're good to go here... for now.

Marcos
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Further evidence to support the fact that our northern neighbor's government lacks much if any common sense.

(But then again...who are we to talk ?!?)

:canadaflag::usflag:

Ric
04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Further evidence to support the fact that our northern neighbor's government lacks much if any common sense.

(But then again...who are we to talk ?!?)

:canadaflag::usflag:

Marcos

It all started in Canada with Leaf blowers banning and now Florida has passed new Fertilizer laws. While I can and will stay compliant with the present law, I am worried about future laws.

I don't want to open Pandora's Box, And Green is good. But it is about time for some common sense. Nuke Electric and Pumping Oil from our own vast reserves from Alaska, Montana and the Gulf of Mexico would help solve our energy problem. Which BTW is a man made problem to make the rich richer.

Marcos
04-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Marcos

It all started in Canada with Leaf blowers banning and now Florida has passed new Fertilizer laws. While I can and will stay compliant with the present law, I am worried about future laws.

I don't want to open Pandora's Box, And Green is good. But it is about time for some common sense. Nuke Electric and Pumping Oil from our own vast reserves from Alaska, Montana and the Gulf of Mexico would help solve our energy problem. Which BTW is a man made problem to make the rich richer.

You didn't state anything I don't agree with.
....and we've got to do it all because it's, again, "COMMON SENSE", and not part of a Gorist, or U.N.-driven political hoax or scheme, the false doctrines like what is o-so-popular for the stupid ignorant "global warming" lemmings to follow these days. :hammerhead:

But in the long term everyone has to come to the realization that there has to be more sensible and logical....and yes..SAFER ways of obtaining energy.

For example:
The research being done right now at different points worldwide on harnessing sea currents is absolutely AMAZING in it's potential !!
They've got some work to do, though, especially with making sure various ocean species aren't affected.
But you watch ! I believe this is GOING TO happen BIG TIME in the near-future !

And where's the world's STRONGEST underwater sea current ??
Right near you, Ric....just out past the tip of Florida !!!
:usflag:

bill8379
04-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Why don't you go talk about renewable energy in the off topic forum.

Ric
04-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Why don't you go talk about renewable energy in the off topic forum.

Bill

I think we would rather stay ON topic and talk about the subject you started. GREEN VS COMMON SENSE. Whether we talk about Pesticide bans in Canada or Fertilizer laws in Florida, it is all about Extreme Green.

Year back DDT and Chlordane were taken off the market in the USA. DDT was ban world wide. Today both DDT and Chlordane are being use in most all 3rd world countries because the good it does out weights the little bit of bad. This is the Common Sense I am talking about. Renewable energy is a great long term goal. But because of the present energy crunch we need short term fixes. Banning pesticides is an extreme move and the impact will be felt down the road. Any law that doesn't take into account Complaints of that law is a bad law. The General public will not comply to a general pesticide ban the same as it didn't comply to Prohibition.

bill8379
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
More and more people are buying organic food.. people are going green for whatever reason. It's like the smoking laws they got now, No Tax is too much. No smoking indoors etc. For a long time I boycotted coffee shops that had no smoking allowed. I seen them go from them having designated smoking sections, then to having those sections cordoned off by glass and then NO SMOKING at all inside. Now they are banning people from standing too close to the entrance when they smoke outside.

Once the majority gets behind these idiot politicians to the point where they feel they have to run for office on promises of restricting rights it snow balls.

As far as pesticides, I'd prefer they NOT be put on foods. I'm kind of on the fence.

Ric
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
More and more people are buying organic food.. people are going green for whatever reason. It's like the smoking laws they got now, No Tax is too much. No smoking indoors etc. For a long time I boycotted coffee shops that had no smoking allowed. I seen them go from them having designated smoking sections, then to having those sections cordoned off by glass and then NO SMOKING at all inside. Now they are banning people from standing too close to the entrance when they smoke outside.

Once the majority gets behind these idiot politicians to the point where they feel they have to run for office on promises of restricting rights it snow balls.

As far as pesticides, I'd prefer they NOT be put on foods. I'm kind of on the fence.

Bill

Marketing is like politics, The more you put crap in the public's face the more they believe it. Look at how many will buy Scotts turf builder 29-2-3 at 5 times the price because it says SCOTTS. You can get the same response with straight urea.

I am not totally against Green. Green can be a very good thing and should be practiced, But let us use common sense.

ToniDavies
04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
This was posted in the Toronto Sun,

Ontario will ban the use of cosmetic lawn care chemicals, Premier Dalton McGuinty announced today.

"This law will be the toughest of its kind on North America," McGuinty said, as he marked Earth Day with Environment Minister John Gerretsen in the backyard of a private home near Avenue Rd. and St. Clair Ave.

The ban, which will come into effect next spring, will ban both the use and sale of pesticides and herbicides for lawn and garden use.

The products have come under fire from health care professionals, who are concerned prolonged exposure can cause cancer, neurological and reproductive problems.

Marcos
04-22-2008, 03:31 PM
This was posted in the Toronto Sun,

Ontario will ban the use of cosmetic lawn care chemicals, Premier Dalton McGuinty announced today.

"This law will be the toughest of its kind on North America," McGuinty said, as he marked Earth Day with Environment Minister John Gerretsen in the backyard of a private home near Avenue Rd. and St. Clair Ave.

The ban, which will come into effect next spring, will ban both the use and sale of pesticides and herbicides for lawn and garden use.

The products have come under fire from health care professionals, who are concerned prolonged exposure can cause cancer, neurological and reproductive problems.

You KNOW exactly what's going to happen, right ?!?

There's going to be quite a bit of Ag chemical to be sold in Ontario in the near future...that's going to be 'mysteriously' used :rolleyes: "off label" for their "reciprocal applications" in the lawn / landscape.

The Ontario pesticide nut-and-shell game begins in spring '09 !
:laugh:

EdTLawn
04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Luckily, I stocked up on 2,D-4 last summer after crossing over to Ontario to buy them, should last me for another 1/4 century ...LoL

These laws are stupid, all they do is ban the sale and commerical use of the product. People who have stock can still use them and there is no resources to enforce commerical accounts from using them.

Rat posion and insecticide are poisonious also, why isn't there a ban on those ?

Optimum Lawn
04-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Looking at the Banned list it seems to cover all broad leaf herbicides but no mention of Roundup....so guess that is "green" enough......good at least we will still be able to kill everything green
Governments solution to weeds....hand weed/rake...yeh right..

All insecticides are toast as well.

Governments solution to bugs.....reseed after the damage is done...or water like crap before hand......yeh go ahead and waste "clean" water on your lawn...that is still "green"... I guess.
:hammerhead:

Bad science gone amok
I figure all farmers should be dead or dying now considering there exposure to these chems....but they seem to be still ticking.
Chem lawn employees/applicators should have died off years ago considering how "toxic" these chems are.:hammerhead:

:dizzy:

bill8379
04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I wonder if you need to be certified to spread cow manure on a lawn or whatever organic lawn care is about:(

I did that when I was a kid, manure all over my grandpa's Gardens, he had a farm. This will go down big in the higher end neighbourhoods I'm sure.

Ric
04-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I wonder if you need to be certified to spread cow manure on a lawn or whatever organic lawn care is about:(

I did that when I was a kid, manure all over my grandpa's Gardens, he had a farm. This will go down big in the higher end neighbourhoods I'm sure.

Bill

I think it would be a cruel world if you needed to be certified to shovel chit.

Shades of Green LService
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Eventually the sun will burn out and were all done anyway. So .........???

GravelyNut
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Looking at the Banned list it seems to cover all broad leaf herbicides but no mention of Roundup....so guess that is "green" enough......good at least we will still be able to kill everything green
Governments solution to weeds....hand weed/rake...yeh right..

All insecticides are toast as well.

Governments solution to bugs.....reseed after the damage is done...or water like crap before hand......yeh go ahead and waste "clean" water on your lawn...that is still "green"... I guess.
:hammerhead:

Bad science gone amok
I figure all farmers should be dead or dying now considering there exposure to these chems....but they seem to be still ticking.
Chem lawn employees/applicators should have died off years ago considering how "toxic" these chems are.:hammerhead:

:dizzy:

Some chemicals I will be glad to see the day when they are banned. Roundup is actually one of the safest chemicals to use and it will not kill all plants. We have some down here where Roundup won't even cause a burnback of any type. The plants just keep on growing like nothing was sprayed on them.

I gave up my Restricted Pesticide license almost 20 years ago due to having come in contact with two that put me in the hospital. Even though I wore the proper safety articles for what I was handling.

EdTLawn
04-23-2008, 01:56 AM
I just watched the news, the law has passed, but the ban is next spring.

Now they are talking about banning gas mowers in 5-10 years !

Optimum Lawn
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Some chemicals I will be glad to see the day when they are banned. Roundup is actually one of the safest chemicals to use and it will not kill all plants. We have some down here where Roundup won't even cause a burnback of any type. The plants just keep on growing like nothing was sprayed on them.

I gave up my Restricted Pesticide license almost 20 years ago due to having come in contact with two that put me in the hospital. Even though I wore the proper safety articles for what I was handling.

Agreed some stuff is killer toxic but this ban is mostly related to 2-4-D and the spraying of weeds...just everything else gets lumped in and a lot of the toxic chems are being phased out as newer "safer" chems come along.

To me it is all politically motivated based on fear mongering and NOT based on any legit science. All this stuff is regulated by the Federal government and the lower levels of Government have disregarded the science.

Water is also HIGHLY toxic when consumed in the right doses and every one's tolerances are different. The Fed regs. I think take it all into account and label accordingly or ban the product.

I read it is now up for discussion and input with a bill to follow with spring '09 as the start date assuming the bill would pass...so nothing is written in stone yet

How bout we ban urban SPRAWL...as that kills the environment more than anything....oh wait to many $$$$$ involved there

More rules ...more regs equals less freedom
do we really live in a FREE country

bill8379
04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I just watched the news, the law has passed, but the ban is next spring.

Now they are talking about banning gas mowers in 5-10 years !

Right on, they must have been lobbied by the makers of extension cords.:laugh::canadaflag:

edit: does Weed Man type companies still operate in Quebec?

GravelyNut
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Agreed some stuff is killer toxic but this ban is mostly related to 2-4-D and the spraying of weeds...just everything else gets lumped in and a lot of the toxic chems are being phased out as newer "safer" chems come along.

To me it is all politically motivated based on fear mongering and NOT based on any legit science. All this stuff is regulated by the Federal government and the lower levels of Government have disregarded the science.

Water is also HIGHLY toxic when consumed in the right doses and every one's tolerances are different. The Fed regs. I think take it all into account and label accordingly or ban the product.

I read it is now up for discussion and input with a bill to follow with spring '09 as the start date assuming the bill would pass...so nothing is written in stone yet

How bout we ban urban SPRAWL...as that kills the environment more than anything....oh wait to many $$$$$ involved there

More rules ...more regs equals less freedom
do we really live in a FREE country

Do you still have your guns hidden ( lost ) or were they all registered?

Ducke
04-23-2008, 07:01 PM
And, apparently, Quebec already has and has the toughest laws re. pesticides in North America.

They better still fog for Mosquitoes:canadaflag:

Anyway, I'm wondering what happens to Weedman and co.s like that when laws like this go into effect. I was thinking of offering this service, I live in Manitoba so we're good to go here... for now.

We here in Halifax regional municipality of Nova Scotia have been pesticide free for 5 years now.
Yes it has been challenging but I believe it has been great for everyone.
it has made us rethink how and why we do things and with what we do it with.
I now don't have to spend 8-10 hours a day in 30c weather dressed in rubber boots Gloves and an respirator and my customers have beautiful lawns that are as healthy and as green as they were when we were dumping toxic chemicals on them.
We have used all kinds of product some we still use some we don't and each year we get something new.

EdTLawn
04-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Right on, they must have been lobbied by the makers of extension cords.:laugh::canadaflag:

edit: does Weed Man type companies still operate in Quebec?

Yup they do, I don't know what they are using now ?