PDA

View Full Version : urea

wpines
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
anyone use urea? pro's or con's

Marcos
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
...only really good use for it I've seen is in a compost pile.

As far as TURF application is concerned...urea generally causes more harm than good.

wpines
04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
What about for first app for dormant or semi-dormant turf. Northeast here.

wpines
04-21-2008, 10:13 PM
umaxx?
uflexx?

erervin
04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Why does urea cause more harm than good? I planted a new fescue lawn last september using fertilizer from the coop. I spread 3 lb./1000 sq. ft. of 18-46-0 at initial seeding and followed it with a 1 lb./1000 sq. ft. of urea (46-0-0) around the first of November. I also just applied another 1 lb./1000 sq. ft. of urea yesterday. I consulted our local extension agent and performed a soil test prior to doing any of this. What type of issues should I expect using urea? I've never heard this before...

Marcos
04-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Why does urea cause more harm than good? I planted a new fescue lawn last september using fertilizer from the coop. I spread 3 lb./1000 sq. ft. of 18-46-0 at initial seeding and followed it with a 1 lb./1000 sq. ft. of urea (46-0-0) around the first of November. I also just applied another 1 lb./1000 sq. ft. of urea yesterday. I consulted our local extension agent and performed a soil test prior to doing any of this. What type of issues should I expect using urea? I've never heard this before...

Your new fescue lawn may be looking just fine. Because it's new.

But there are bucco LCO's that pound the bejesus out of their yards every fall with 46-0-0...and/or the following spring.

Later in the spring and early summer... they'll sit on lawnsite and CRY about why they get hit so especially hard with turf diseases like dollar spot and brown patch ....particularly in bluegrass, "finer" ttt fescue, fine fescue, and ryegrass lawns !!

Agricultural nitrogen pollution is no doubt the single largest INLAND source of "non-point" pollution we've got in this country....it's poisoning our aquifers !!

Although their contribution to this problem is small in comparison to farmers...alll lawn jockeys running around with bags of urea do is add "fuel to the fire".

Use "N"...that's fine...just use wise amounts of slow N...and use it at the right times !

tyaroch
04-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I apply urea in the early summer just after the spring growing slows a bit. It is cheap and works great. Just use a conservative amount. I get it from my local CO-OP.