PDA

View Full Version : Dallisgrass and/or Paspalum in Tall Fescue

RobHawkins
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
First let me say this is a great site.
Second, I have been doing a lot of searches here and reading everything I could find about my lawn problems.
After identifying my weeds, I set out to find the best control solution.
I live in The Piedmont of North Carolina in Catawba County. We're about 45 miles northwest of Charlotte. We suffered a severe drought last Summer here. I couldn't water my lawn and the Dallisgrass multiplied like crazy and the Tall Fescue (Wolfpack) went dormant and some died.
I bought a small trailer sprayer (15 gallon) and 2 1/2 gallons of Prokoz Turf Max MSMA 6+ (47.8%).
I plan on mixing the MSMA as directed and applying it every 5 to 10 days for at least 4 applications. Maybe more. This is in line with the suggestions for Dallisgrass control in turf grass from North Carolina State University.
My question is, does this method sound OK? Does anyone foresee any problems other than yellowing? Can you offer any more advise?
Thank you in advance and thanks for letting me hang out here.
Rob

ted putnam
04-22-2008, 12:14 AM
keep it closer to the 5 than the 10 day interval. Use a little surfactant(dish soap) with it. Follow mixing instructions on label. Don't use the " a little does good so a lot does great" philosophy and it should work.

RobHawkins
04-22-2008, 02:54 PM
keep it closer to the 5 than the 10 day interval. Use a little surfactant(dish soap) with it. Follow mixing instructions on label. Don't use the " a little does good so a lot does great" philosophy and it should work.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the theory that "Less is More".:)
I also have some X-77 Spreader for surficant.
How long should I wait to apply herbicide after mowing? Can you suggest the proper mowing height before application?
Thanks again,
Rob

ted putnam
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
The trick is to keep it growing. It has to be growing to die if that makes any sense. But it's a slow death. That's why you spray it multiple times. 1st time -yellows it. 2nd and 3rd time usually kills it. 4th time is touch up. Mow it like you normally would your fescue lawn. 3-4 inches( I think) Don't mow 24 hrs before or at least 24hrs after. You can add a little Iron chelate to reduce the yellowing. Irrigate in the absence of rain. Good Luck!