PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Peel?

ratherbfishing3574
04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what pulp peel is? I am bidding a job where the customer has had a Landscape architect come ot and design them a flower bed. The bed calls for 4 yards of mulch, and also 4 yards of pulp peel. Anyone know what this is, and why it is used? Also the architect's plans call for 20-40# bags of fertilizer. I know there has been no soil sample taken so any clue what kind of fertilizer he is reffering to. I am assuming some sort of slow release fertilizer....Is that right and do you guys know of any brands you reccomend? I appreciate any feedback!!!

Gardens55
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I've never heard of it. Can't find any information on good ol' google either.:confused:

ratherbfishing3574
04-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I appreciate you looking for me. So let me ask you guys my next question. The estimate calls for 4 yards of pine bark, and 4 yards of pulp peel. Since I have no clue what pulp peel is should I double the pine bark?

Mark Bogart
04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Call the Landscape Architect and ask him what pulp peel is. It's his design and that's what he's calling for. When you find out what it is let us know.

ratherbfishing3574
04-22-2008, 11:21 PM
If only it was that easy...lol. The guy who did estimate also owns the biggest landscape company in my area. He has bid on this job also.

CALandscapes
04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd guess that "pulp peel" would be some type of soil amendment. You could call him or a local nursery to see if they are familiar with it. I'm in the New Orleans area and can assure you that I've never heard of "pulp peel".

Also, as for the fertilizer, he probably is calling for some type of slow realease, multi-purpose fert., such as 14-14-14...

AGLA
04-23-2008, 08:36 AM
It sounds like a byproduct of the juice industry or maybe the paper industry. Write your own spec' for a soil ammendment.

800 pounds of fert seems excessive unless it is some very weak organic material. I'd make your own spec' for fert.

PaperCutter
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
"It has now been discovered that a certain citrus industry by-product; namely, a waste product costing about 6 cents per pound and consisting of citrus peel, stems, seeds, and/or pulp, heretofore primarily used as cattle feed, as a means of disposal and primarily exported to European countries, in combination with certain iron source FAMs, particularly those comprising iron sulfates, result in materials which, after soil application, demonstrate substantially enhanced availability of iron to plants at or near the application situs, and work as well as currently available synthetic iron chelating agents which sell at prices ranging upwards of $180 per pound, on an iron equivalent basis. On the same iron equivalent basis, the instant citrus by-product material, when made with iron sulfates, costs about $9 per pound, which represents about 5% of the cost of such currently used iron chelating agents. "

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5366533-description.html

That's some cool stuff!

Gardens55
04-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Well you learn something new everyday! :)

ratherbfishing3574
04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the information! I had never heard of pulp peel. Sounds like a pretty good idea. Learn somthing new everyday! Thanks again.

Az Gardener
04-23-2008, 04:17 PM
So how would you make some? I'm up to my ears this time of year picking citrus before the roof rats get at it.

PaperCutter
04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Still fighting the roof rats? Is it still mostly Arcadia and Tempe, or is it bad everywhere?

Az Gardener
04-23-2008, 07:14 PM
They are all around but not so much publicity these days. It was fun for the media to cover when it was only the rich folk but not so much when everyone has them. Rich folk are smart, they organize and make things happen. Armies of fruit pickers in the Arcadia are picking the trees clean and the problem is very limited now.

My home with the issue is in the Biltmore and on the west side. Old growth citrus and flood irrigation.

The first year we did it we juiced a lot had 5-gal cases of orange juice and couldn't give it away fast enough, my kids won't even look at OJ now so the citrus go straight into the dump.

PaperCutter
04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
That's too bad! I used to own a pool cleaning business and most of my clients were in Arcadia. I was floored the first time I saw the fruit picking going on- just pallets and pallets of citrus, coming out of a residential neighborhood! I totally miss Phoenix.