PDA

View Full Version : advertising

Mark B
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok gotta pick your great minds on this. I have been seeing a chemical and lawn care company making small 1/4 size flier and inserting them into a ziploc bag with a business card and a few pieces of candy (as a lite weight). Then they ride down the road and toss them on the driveway. So it has me thinking looks cheaper then mailing. I will also be able to pick and choose who gets a baggie. Has anyone tired this before?

TXNSLighting
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
dont! that is so very tacky and unprofessional

amscapes03
04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Personally, if i saw a baggie with candy in it laying in my driveway, it would go straight to the trash can.

irrig8r
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Ok gotta pick your great minds on this. I have been seeing a chemical and lawn care company making small 1/4 size flier and inserting them into a ziploc bag with a business card and a few pieces of candy (as a lite weight). Then they ride down the road and toss them on the driveway. So it has me thinking looks cheaper then mailing. I will also be able to pick and choose who gets a baggie. Has anyone tired this before?

Cut rate Vietnamese mow-and-blow gardeners adopted this method of marketing around here about 15 or 20 years ago, but using rocks in the bag... Some still do...

Candy sounds more appealing, but who knows where it's been!

Summit L & D
04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
If it seems like a cheap, easy way to advertise, the customer will most likely think the same thing. Cheap, quick and low quality are things that I never want to be known for.

And about the candy idea...NO. Would you ever eat some candy that was dumped on your driveway with a flyer?

If you are thinking about picking and choosing who's driveway you throw to, why don't you get out of the truck and go knock on the door? It's much more personable and people are friendlier than you think.....sometimes.

-Josiah

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-21-2008, 10:50 PM
We had a guy around here a few years ago, in the property maintenance biz, he went around in a boat and stapled a ziploc bag containing his promo info to the dock of all the big estates here. I was working on a boathouse and the guy comes right up to the property with his staple gun and sticks this bag on the dock! It was totally crass, involved trespassing, and probably did not work out very well for the guy.

A baggie with candy in it? You might just get arrested for that tactic these days!

Lite4
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't hire you for lighting if you did that. In our industry it is all about presentation to the customer. For example, if you are hanging door hangers, (which by the way are worthless ); you need to tuck one end in the door jam. Once they get blown off the door and land on the ground they become trash in the eyes of the homeowners. Same thing with a baggy laying on their driveway.

The Lighting Geek
04-22-2008, 12:01 AM
if they picked it up and called, I'm sure it would not be the client you want. Good advertising does more than make the phone ring. It is representative of how you do business and your professionalism. Bad or poor advertising has the same but opposite effect.

Gardens55
04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
I think I would be a bit annoyed if I had to pick something up from my driveway and I was an advert. Getting stuff through the door is expected.

TPnTX
04-24-2008, 08:40 AM
race to the bottom

CrazyBlonde
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM
:nono: This is what the customers think of those who put rocks in a baggie with a flyer and throw it. Look! NOT Happy!:nono:

http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2007/02/lawn_care_adver.html