PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn

saltwaterchangedme
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
First off... I am new here. I am not a professional but enjoy landscaping and lawncare as a hobby.

Last fall, I seeded my grandmother's new home with Kentucky Bluegrass. It is really looking nice except for the nasty crabgrass that is coming up all over the place. Is it too early in the lawn's life to spray for the crabgrass? What should I use? I normally use a product called Triplet on my own lawn. Would I be ok to use Triplet? I certainly don't want to harm the new grass which has only been mowed 2 times. Thanks for your help!

Ian

Hissing Cobra
04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
If you planted it last fall and it's been mowed twice, it's generally considered to be strong enough to withstand conventional controls. Did you apply a Fertilizer + Crabgrass Pre-Emergent control at the beginning of the season? If not, that's something that should be applied every spring.

Now, to address the Crabgrass. How big is it? Is the lawn being watered correctly or is it dried out? How big is the lawn? Depending upon the size of the Crabgrass, you have multiple choices available - all in liquid form. If the crabgrass is small, you can use DRIVE Herbicide, which is pretty gentle on newly seeded lawns. If the crabgrass is big, you may want to use TARGET 6.6/MSMA/DACONATE (all of these products are pretty much equal.) If the lawn is small, you may want to tackle this yourself. However, if the lawn is large, you're better off hiring a reputable company that can come in and Blanket Spray either of those listed products over the entire lawn.

Good luck!