PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone sweep/vacuum p/lots?

shearbolt
12-06-2001, 12:25 PM
Does anyone vacuum or sweep parking lots? I'm bidding a department store and they want it done 3 times a week all year. What kind of equipment do you use. Can you get away with using a vacuum most of the year and then power sweeping it after snow season?

mdb landscaping
12-06-2001, 05:58 PM
i dont know the size of the lot. the most logical idea would be to use a sweeper. they can be costly. if you are going to be doing a fair amount of sweeping, maybe a used tennant sweeper would suit you well. if you want to take the less expensive way out, use a large 8 or 9 hp blower to get the sand to the curbs. then purchase a sweepster rotary broom to gather the sand at the curbs. throw it in a dump truck and your set. of course, im just speculating on a smaller type parking lot.

landscaper3
12-06-2001, 09:26 PM
We do over 50 properties (sweeping service) some of those properties are condominiums with 3/4 mile of pavement. Will need lot size for a estimate. We use a Case skidsteer with an enclosed sweeper, when filled we dump in the dump trucks and haul away. Our cost is $100 per hr for Skidsteer's, $75.00 per hr for each truck plus disposal fees.

Runner
12-06-2001, 09:59 PM
Brian,
Just out of curiosity, why would it be $100 an hour for the skidsteer, but then only 75 an hour with the truck. It seems like you could cover alot more area with the truck, than you could with the skidsteer. I've been told before, that 75 per hour is about the going rate for a truck. That sure isn't very much, for the maintenance and upkeep of these units. Let alone the cost, having to drive it to all those multiple locations, and insurance. You figure, a MOWER makes more than that, it it's only a fraction of the cost. I was looking into doing this, (with a truck) but I just didn't see the feasibility in the overhead costs. Right now, I do a few, but we jst pick them up, or occasionally use the push blowers. We end up with alot more than 75 per hour though, when the numbers are all figured out. One plaza, is $500 more a month to do the lot, but I empty about 6 trash barrels (just pull the bags) and throw them in the dumpster along with that.

landscaper3
12-06-2001, 10:25 PM
1st the skid steer is always working with little to no down time, the trucks sit and idle till loaded then as 1 leaves the other is loaded so on and so on. I forgot to add we get $39.00 per load for dumping fee. So the trucks are really making more then the $75 thats just idle and transprot time not including dump fees and hauling fees. We average around $100hr skidsteers and around $100plus for trucks.

landscaper3
12-06-2001, 10:31 PM
Do to hard winters up here and all the sand-salt we lay down on these properties we can pull some long hours. On commercial buildings we start around 9pm or so and go all night. On condos we gotta due them after 9am and be gone by 6pm. We have a really good system where Ill send a couple of guys out with POWER BROOMS and a Walker with a broom and sweep all sand of lawn areas onto pavement and the night crew gets it all with the big equipment. Hertz equipment rental or other rental companies can rent or lease one to you if wish not to purchase, really good rates!

Runner
12-07-2001, 12:07 AM
I don't know WHAT I was thinking. I was somehow thinking of sweeping trucks, when you mentioned the cost per hour of the trucks. Even though you had just mentioned the dump trucks...:rolleyes: My "bad". lol There is someone else on here, that does this, and uses a Tymco, if I remember right. They told me that if I ever had any questions or anything to just let them know. If you do a search for this, you'll probably find it. I mentioned earlier that it would be kind of neat to have a forum here for it, but I guess there's just not that much call for it that we can't put on the commercial forum. Also, there are a few neat sites that have discussions on this, if you're interested. Here they are.
www.schwarze.com
http://www.americansweeper.com/

awm
12-08-2001, 06:56 AM
RUNNER the problem w guys running tymcos may be they dont have a life. id run all night. be groogy several hrs after waking up and finally come to life just before the family was calling it a day.
i truely came to hate that work for that reason. of course pt of the problem is that u dont sleep when u should at times,and
really suffer for it. it had me doing to many stimulants.
my tymco was the way to go tho ,if u gonna do much sweeping.
that was many yrs ago so the competition may be more cutthroat now than it was then.
although 3rd shift fits some folks.
if it doesnt u already know it. if thats the case get off and get your life back.jmho later now.

groundsguy1970
12-08-2001, 12:10 PM
:o We start our lots @ 5:00 am.....then wind it down around 10:00 or so when the "normal" people arrive.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-09-2001, 06:18 PM
If you were only going to have one or two lots that were say 3/4 to 1 acre in size , It would be impractical to purchase a sweeper ?? Would you do it just with blowers ??? I will have some bids where I will run into this ?? Could you sub out the sweeping ?? anybody do this ?? or just use the blowers ?? Thanks

RidgeCon
12-09-2001, 06:56 PM
I agree with all you guys. We do a number of lots that require a wide variation of equipment, we used vacuum trucks, tractor mounted power sweepers, hand sweepers and blowers. Certain clients require certain services ie. large commercial lots vs. apartment buildings....was able to purchase a vacuum truck this past summer for $4500 CDN that was used on highway construction and will work wonders in lots this coming spring.

Keep on working folks