PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Display

buzzyng
04-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Need some help/recommendations.

We are setting up a permanent display (9x15) inside a business. It will have a small paver patio, flagstone pathway, and 10' stream pondless water feature. Here are the areas I need some assistance with:

- plants/shrubs: will plan on using artificial as there will be little to no natural light, not sure of HVAC inside, etc.

Can anyone recommend some live alternatives that would be ok with very little personal care.

- best way to build up heighth? was thinking of just using topsoil but worried about the moisture content (it's been wet around here for awhile) and if it started draining on the floor with the warmer temperature inside

thanks

n2h20
04-23-2008, 02:13 AM
maybe some sand or gravel then use a weed blocker on top of the with real soil or a mulch to finish it off?????

buzzyng
04-23-2008, 02:37 AM
I was thinking of sawdust to build up as it wouldn't make as big a mess as sand or heavy as rock.

What are everyone's thought on using fake plants vs how well real ones would hold up?

Gardens55
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I was thinking of sawdust to build up as it wouldn't make as big a mess as sand or heavy as rock.

What are everyone's thought on using fake plants vs how well real ones would hold up?

I only ever use real plants,. Fake plants are a real :nono:

buzzyng
05-02-2008, 01:37 AM
but how well will the real plants hold up inside a large commercial building with really no way to water them unless they are all located in pots and someone there has to water daily?

thx

Summit L & D
05-03-2008, 12:56 AM
but how well will the real plants hold up inside a large commercial building with really no way to water them unless they are all located in pots and someone there has to water daily?

thx

I don't think you should have to be watering the plants on a daily basis. Yes, they will most likely need to be potted with catch trays under them, but it will look SO much better than fake plants. To emphasize why I don't think you want to have fake plants....go take a look at your local cemetery. Not exactly a connection that I would want to associate with a growing company.

Don't use fake plants!

-Josiah

Mr. Vern
05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
First off, I agree that you should not use fake plants. People have been keeping plants alive indoors for years. Weekly watering is all that is required. Ponds look best planted with lots of shade loving plants and so you have the perfect environment for that.

Secondly, when we do homeshow displays we use hay bales to get the height. We would never leave them setup like that outdoors for obvious reasons, but if you could keep them dry indoors you might find that they last just fine. If not, you you could use cinder blocks with plywood over them for the main height and just use a cheap mulch on top and then top dress with a high quality mulch.

Good luck and post photos when you're done.

buzzyng
05-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Thanks guys. I had decided to use fake plants and spent about $150 but will take them back and try the real route. I'm not able to visit the display every week but will see if the people onsite will do some watering for me.

For heighth, I used pallets and styrofoam sheets. This worked well. I need to have the display completed by next weekend so I will post some pics once complete

thanks

Lite4
05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
How are you going to counteract the process of evaporation for the waterfeature. Being inside it will lose water fast. Are you using an autofill hooked up to a water supply somewhere? If so why not hook into that water supply with a valve and battery timer. Run emitters to your plants and set them to water once a week. That is what I would do. Seal the bottom of the pots and drill a hole big enough for some spaghetti tubing for a drain that runs down into the waterfalls. Be sure to silicone seal the spaghetti tubing to the pots.

buzzyng
05-05-2008, 02:56 AM
There is no water hook up close to the area so it would have to topped off manually as needed. I didn't realize it would lose water fast inside. It is a pondless and I built the basin to be about 3-4x the capacity so hopefully it wont need water too often