PDA

View Full Version : Spreader - agri fab - good deal?

GRT
04-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Is this a good deal?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11182531&search=agrifab&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=agrifab&Ntt=agrifab&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

cgaengineer
04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
It actually looks to be a well built unit...do you plan to use it commercially?

GRT
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
no, just on my 1 acre property. The little Scott's thing I have been using sucks. :)

cgaengineer
04-22-2008, 10:09 AM
no, just on my 1 acre property. The little Scott's thing I have been using sucks. :)

I will probably get flamed for not telling you to go out and buy a $600 Spyker or a $8000 ride on spreader, but here goes...

It should be fine for that. I use an Earthway which I think works very well. The Earthway comes with all the papers that describe calibration and adjustment and also has spreadsheet for use with fertilizer/pound per 1000 sq ft charts...dont know if you have them in your area but maybe worth looking into the Earthway...you can also get a rain cover and deflectors the Earthway...not sure about the Agri-Fab. The price for the Earthway I have was $25 more , but is a solid unit and a great replacement for a Scott's homeowner junk and has solid control rod for controls like the Agri-Fab and other more expensive units.

GRT
04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
very cool, thanks for the advice

grass_cuttin_fool
04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
They are fair...nothing to brag on though....I use one commercially and after 2 years they are shot...I would say it would last you 10 years. The weakest link in them are the bushing in the hopper....they seem to wear really fast and time you get the parts to fix it....it comes to around 90 bux. Other than the bushing in the hopper.....its a decent spreader

wayne

tyaroch
04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Run it! It will work great.

Grandview
04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I used Agri-Fab spreaders my first two years in business. They rust really fast if used commercially. My second one did not last a full year. I even washed it every night. They spread and push nice. It should last if washed and oil after using.

SCB
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe worth trying now Lesco 50# spreader, it looks better than Agri-Lab, price could be a little higher than that also.

Terraformer
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Is this a good deal?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11182531&search=agrifab&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=agrifab&Ntt=agrifab&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Agri-Fab they're uh... an okay push spreader for the money. However, I will warn you that unless you are young, under 45, and wanting the exercise - don't buy it. The only exception would be if you have less that 15K sq. ft. to cover. Even then... that's a hard push. Example: I recently invested in a Spyker 288 w/Border Patrol as a replacement to my old Earthway commercial unit. Boy what a nice product and a dream to push compared to the old Earthway. That said, I only use it for critical trimming and very confined/small areas (under 10k). Otherwise, I use my Agri-Fab tow behind and it does a good job providing you use good product and calibrate it.

FYI - Soon I plan to invest in a quality ride-on spreader sprayer.