PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy in Daylillies

RAlmaroad
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Client asked me to check her daylilly beds. I did. The beds are full of BIG BIG Poison Ivy all in there. It is beyond my ability to kill it in the flower beds. Anyone know of any herbicide that will kill just the poison ivy and not the day lilles. Can't just spray the ivy because the daylilles are really thick and cover the mound.
I'm so alergic to the stuff that I can't get near it. I suggested to save a few of the best daylilles that were not near the ivy and kill off everthing. Lot of hatred in that woman's eyes.
Thanks,
Roy

greendoctor
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Garlon4 diluted with diesel, painted on to whatever stems you can reach without having to contact the stuff. I would charge a very high hourly rate for doing something like this.

BocaChris
04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Hire a mexican...

vegomatic40
04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't think there is a selective-herbicide available that will do what she wants. She may have to come to terms with the fact that there isn't a product for every situation. Your last suggestion is probably the best route, the only problem is even after the Posion Ivy is long dead it can contain the stuff you are so allergic to (urushiol). On the plus-side, daylilies tend to be some pretty tough plants and may withstand a mild solution of Glyphosate sprayed over the top. If you are able to control the Ivy you might try wearing disposable Tyvec coveralls and a respirator for removal, or beg someone to help you that isn't as allergic. The last thing you want is to somehow get it in the lungs as it has been known in extreme cases to be fatal. No easy solution.