PDA

View Full Version : Muskrats took out retaining wall

Chitown King
04-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a retaining wall that collapsed due to muskrats burrowing around and it making it weak. The retaining wall is a boulder retaining wall, about 4 feet high and 20 feet wide and it is on a pond shore.

I am looking for as many ideas as possible on ideas to make the area structurally sound again and to prevent from happening again.

sicnj
04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
concrete behind the wall

Mark Bogart
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
How big are the boulders? When the wall was built what size of boulders were used on the starter course and how deep were they set? Any pictures?

Chitown King
04-23-2008, 12:44 AM
How big are the boulders? When the wall was built what size of boulders were used on the starter course and how deep were they set? Any pictures?

The boulders are roughly 12" in diameter. Wall was built roughly 10 years ago. The boulders are maybe 6" under ground and 3-4' high. But underground is not the problem. The wall was collapsed because the muskrats dug behind the wall not under it.

Mark Bogart
04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Without seeing any pictures it's kind of hard to come up with a solution. One idea I'm thinking about is to use 2"-4" crushed rock behind it. 3' deep by 2-3' wide. Just an idea!

Chitown King
04-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Without seeing any pictures it's kind of hard to come up with a solution. One idea I'm thinking about is to use 2"-4" crushed rock behind it. 3' deep by 2-3' wide. Just an idea!

That is the idea I am thinking of proposing. They have a flower bed there that cannot be replaced so the rocks would have to be buried under that. But basically building a rock wall behind the boudler wall was what I was leaning to. I just wanted to see if anyone had different ideas.