PDA

View Full Version : My new truck/project pics

Classified
04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I bought this truck from a member here about a week ago. Its an older truck in decent condition but needs a bunch of work done at the same time. mostly little things but the first thing that had to go was the paint. I did the paint job myself and it isny thing amazing but its nice for a work truck. Its not done yet, Im still going to paint the bed/box brown but I just need it on the road as it will help out imensly over using my pickup bed.

I start it off with the before pics and the after as of now pics.

Classified
04-22-2008, 06:48 PM
here it is as it stands now

Classified
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I am thinking im going to recoat the cab one more time but not sure. Im gonna run it as is for a couple weeks so i can get caught up on some work then decide what I want to do. I cant wait to get my logo on the doors. Its gonna look killer when done I hope!

DK lawn care
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Whyd you buy that and not use ur SD as ur wrk truck? BTW it looks good!! is it 4x4 and what eng?

KrayzKajun
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
nice work!!!

Classified
04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Whyd you buy that and not use ur SD as ur wrk truck? BTW it looks good!! is it 4x4 and what eng?

the ford is loaded with leather, carpet, and electric everything. Its also my DD. The chevy is a work truck and it has the dump bed which is alot nicer than unloading everything with a rake and shovel out of the bed.

The chevy is 4wd but does not work, I think it needs the actuator and its the 6.5L turbo diesel.

It came with a plow as well but im thinking im not going to plow with it and save the money on the 4wd repairs and possible repairs commonly associated with a truck that is 16 years old, lol

DK lawn care
04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
the ford is loaded with leather, carpet, and electric everything. Its also my DD. The chevy is a work truck and it has the dump bed which is alot nicer than unloading everything with a rake and shovel out of the bed.

The chevy is 4wd but does not work, I think it needs the actuator and its the 6.5L turbo diesel.

It came with a plow as well but im thinking im not going to plow with it and save the money on the 4wd repairs and possible repairs commonly associated with a truck that is 16 years old, lol

Thats good to hear. BTW keep us informed if u do anything else to the truck.

Lawn Enforcer
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Sweet truck! Good luck this year

fullmetalbucket
04-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Nice catch! I've got a '95 GMC 1Ton, 4x4, 6.5L TD with a dump bed as well and it's been a great truck. Not a speed demon but pulls a few yards of top soil along with my skid steer and mini excavator no problem. Check out this site... www.thedieselplace.com to familiarize yourself with the 6.5L TD motor. They are notorious for having the same problems and this site has been IMMENSELY helpful to me since purchasing the truck. Maintain it and it'll last a good long time!
Enjoy!
Here's a pic of mine just for fun...

Classified
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
NICE TRUCK!

Sure puts mine to shame for sure. Thats a real nice setup.

Yeah I have been lurking over on that site for a looooong time. I see your frame is in much better condition than mine. I have a lot of rust issues but i plan to run it for all its worth. I love my fords but I have to say that a old body style (like ours) chevy with a dump looks soooo nice.

I need to figure out how to get my front end lifted up about the same hight as yours. The torsion bar bolts look really rusty and im afraind to crank on them. Im going to anyway , hopefully it works.

lawnpro2210
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Looks good

Lawn Enforcer
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
lawnpro2210, great town to be from, the home of the "Wild Child" Jac Haudenschild

fullmetalbucket
04-22-2008, 11:08 PM
NICE TRUCK!

I see your frame is in much better condition than mine. I have a lot of rust issues but i plan to run it for all its worth.

It's amazing what regular spraying with used motor oil will accomplish. I give it a light coat occasionally and after doing it a few times, all the scaley rust starts falling off and it starts looking nice AND all the rusty fasteners turn out much easier! Thanks for the compliment, when I git the truck the paint was all faded and it looked kind of shabby..... a little elbow grease and a couple weekends work can do alot for an old truck, as you've proven. Good luck with yours!!

tls22
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Doug ur my hero!*trucewhiteflag*

02DURAMAX
04-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice Buy Classy!!!

tls22
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Nice Buy Classy!!!

Lol.....You stay classy doug!:rolleyes:

CandCLandscaping
05-30-2008, 05:51 PM
any updates?

oakwdman
08-03-2008, 02:18 AM
how have things been going with this new-used truck? I saw you the other day on algonquin road with the ford towing the enclosed!

South Florida Lawns
08-04-2008, 01:35 AM
I like you're run it to the ground attitude that's the way I treat my work truck Chevy everyday!

Classified
08-09-2008, 07:44 PM
how have things been going with this new-used truck? I saw you the other day on algonquin road with the ford towing the enclosed!

The truck is doing great! I need to change the oil though, I havent done it since I bought it, haha. It doesnt get used as much right now because of the high humidity, it has no AC so thats why im in the ford but right now im using the chevy for mulch.

Also, about contryside and thier mulch blowers........I saw 1 GUY today put down about 20 yards by the time it took to reculture a small landscape bed and pop in 6 russian sage plants. That only took me about an hour and I was about 20 mins away from where he was working. I wish they werent so expensive. I put down about 150 yards right now and couls easily do more with one of those suckers!

oakwdman
08-09-2008, 07:48 PM
im assuming you get your mulch in bulk after seeing the pic with the trucks parked next to that mulch pile. just one ?, how do you load it?

And about countryside, i didnt realize they had a website until yesterday lol. Never knew that they are 57th (i think thats it) in the nation. and come to think of it i am not surprised.

Classified
08-09-2008, 07:53 PM
im assuming you get your mulch in bulk after seeing the pic with the trucks parked next to that mulch pile. just one ?, how do you load it?

And about countryside, i didnt realize they had a website until yesterday lol. Never knew that they are 57th (i think thats it) in the nation. and come to think of it i am not surprised.

That was 50 yards of lumberjacks mulch. That pile has been gone for some months now. I loaded it with a skid steer at that farm. Its a distant cousins farm that is in barrington. Im sure you know which one, it has a big pumpkin on the silo. So they let me use thier skid.

No I get my mulch from prestige nusery in west chicago load by load.

Yeah countryside is giant!

oakwdman
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
figures that it's barrington with the size of those houses in the backround!

STIHL GUY
08-10-2008, 02:53 PM
nice truck but why dont you use the ford??

oakwdman
08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
the ford is loaded with leather, carpet, and electric everything. Its also my DD. The chevy is a work truck and it has the dump bed which is alot nicer than unloading everything with a rake and shovel out of the bed. - (originally posted by Classified)

there ya' go!

Kennedy Landscaping
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
One of these days.......I'll have a dump, just gotta keep making money. Very nice ford, are those amber strobes in the grill and is it a gasser or diesel?

Classified
08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
One of these days.......I'll have a dump, just gotta keep making money. Very nice ford, are those amber strobes in the grill and is it a gasser or diesel?

I love the dump, its awesome watching 2 tons of lawn waste come tumbling out!

The strobes (LED) in the grill are amber and the engine is the 7.3L diesel.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah I bet it beats just raking it out. At one time what I did was put a tarp in my bed and then when I went to dump at the end of the day just pull the tarp out and go. I want to put ambers on my truck, front and back but I don't really have the need for them.

grass2cash
08-11-2008, 08:05 AM
That looks really nice! I like the wheels and color. I'm diggin how a lot of people are opting for the flat matte finish. Makes it look mean.

OSU 09
08-27-2008, 09:26 AM
hey classified, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of paint did you use on the truck? And how did you go about repainting it? I have an 89' 3500 1 ton dump that is in serious need of a repainting, i'd really like to do it myself and save some money. Thanks

Classified
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I went to an autobody supply store here and picked up a single stage paint made by dupont. All you have to do is add the reducer, mix and shoot. For prepping, I just scuffed the surface with sandpaper and cleaned the paint as well as I could. I painted it in a barn with no lighting on a windy/dusty day and it turned out really nice for what it is. Its a decent amount of work but if you got the time and place, its really fun!

OSU 09
08-27-2008, 06:38 PM
hey thanks. so that single stage paint didn't require any primer or clearcoat?

Classified
08-27-2008, 06:41 PM
hey thanks. so that single stage paint didn't require any primer or clearcoat?

Nope!

Its not very shiney but thats more cause I never painted before and dont have the technique down. Plus black isnt easy to paint.