PDA

View Full Version : Help! why's there so much white smoke? fuel i assume....

thefed
04-22-2008, 09:35 PM
so my unit (12.5 kawa) was seized up the other day....gas in the cylinder fromsitting...assuming a bad needle or float. found a bad float,replaced it (i am NOT a carb guy,just wingin' it). I changed oil, and started it up...

SMOKE! i mean LOTS of smoke from the muffle. then when i cut the power, a gassy/oily mixture LEAKS from the muffler.

I was a bit unsure how that needle attaches to the float...seems kinda cheap...but im not sure what i did wrong

ideas?

FIXDISS
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
How long did you run it. All that smoke could be accumulative fuel that was in the muffler.It should burn off after the muffler heats up to operating temp.

thefed
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
ehhhh....30 seconds cumulative....it was making me nervous...more throttle =more smoke. THICK smoke...not burnoff...dumping of fuel it seemed into the carb

heritage
04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
You fixed the Needle, and changed the oil....Good.

Run it 5 Min Wide Open Throttle...No Load.

Good to go.

Pete

Restrorob
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
There is only one way to put the float and needle valve in, Run the unit like FIXDISS said and it will clear up and stop dripping fuel out of the muffler.

If it were still leaking fuel into the cylinder it would run like crap or not even at all.

mountainlake
04-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Did you change the oil? Most likely gas got in the oil also. Steve

LawnVet
04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Did you turn the engine on it's side or tip it at all? Most likely you have oil burning. Usually it is from tipping the engine and it gets into the air filter/intake. If you get enough in there it can get into the cylinder (especially if the intake valve is open when tipped) and when you attempt to start the machine it will push oil into the muffler. I would remove the spark plug and give a few pulls to get the oil out of the cylinder to prevent too much pressure. Then replace plug and run engine at a low idle until the smoke disappears. White smoke is almost always from oil burning - hopefully you don't have a bad piston ring.

thefed
04-25-2008, 01:09 AM
well i cranked and cranked with the plug out and it never stops coming out....always a splash of something

thefed
04-25-2008, 01:12 AM
and yes i changed the oil, but im sure theres some gas still in there after only 1 oil change...right? i didnt want to let this thing run too long in case i was doing damage...im talkin LOTS of smoke...gotta run in the house LOTS

LawnVet
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
well i cranked and cranked with the plug out and it never stops coming out....always a splash of something

Splash of what? That is what is important. If you have oil coming out the combustion chamber and you had tipped the engine on its side during the oil change your best bet is to do the following:
1. Remove spark plug
2. Place a clear plastic tube into the cylinder - let it just touch the piston.
3. Attach a vacuum hose to the tubing with your hand creating suction at the chamber and at the vac hose.
4. Watch the oil come out.
If you get oil out now is the time to pull/crank the engine through a few cycles slowly until you don't see anymore oil coming out.

I have had this problem after my mower was tipped on its side and this solution worked very well. Don't forget to change the air filter at this point.

If that is your problem this should do the trick. If not, sorry for the long post.

jkilov
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Your problem is probably 90% solved, but who knows.

why's there so much white smoke? fuel i assume....
I don`t think so, engines running way too rich on fuel give off black smoke. I`d guess the engine is burning oil (very light blue smoke), but it`s not totally white.

Did you turn the engine on it's side or tip it at all? Most likely you have oil burning. ....... run engine at a low idle until the smoke disappears.

I would do exactly the same. And yes, there will be a HUGE amount of smoke at the start, but have no fear. Just check the oil level before starting. Even if there is a problem, the oil level won`t drop in 5min of running. If the smoke disappears think nothing more of it.