PDA

View Full Version : High wheeled vs low wheeled mowers

Chalfont Lawns
04-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Quick question.....I'm new to the business, have about 35 small-ish lawns in Philadelphia. I need to purchase a small bagging push mower and not really sure if I should pick up a high wheeled or low wheeled. Like I said, most of my lawns are small, many have small inclines and manueverability is important. Any suggesions would be greatly appreciated. Pro-cons of each? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note: already have a 22" throw-away mower with low wheels.

ALC-GregH
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
this is my take. I feel the high wheels put more leverage on the axle/wheel it self and could cause the wheel to break over time. I just picked up a Toro recycler with the normal size back wheels. I think there's something else to it but I can't put my finger on it.

packey
04-23-2008, 01:28 PM
a high wheel mower is more manuverable. I know some will argue but the science will tell you the larger wheel will give you better leverage for pivoting the mower . Now my suggestion would be get a good commercial mower. you will notice that these mowrs seem to make a comprmise with a larger rear wheel but not the massive rear wheels of the cheap mowers. . also the commercial mower will have a better engine heavier deck and the wheels will be metal with ball bearings in them. As far as High whell commercial mowers you will only find a couple and these are built for less manicured sitiuations where you need the ability to move the mower deck around with ease.

olde_blue
04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I like 10" (maybe 12") rear wheels on a mower (like Snapper uses). They roll easier than 8", but don't have the problems of the really "high-wheel" mowers (the wheels tend to wobble as they wear, and you have to press down harder on the handle to raise the front wheels to turn--not a big problem when the bagger is full). Also, you can get high quality, ball bearing, steel 10" wheels at the hardware store for cheap to replace the worn out ones.