PDA

View Full Version : Virus Warning!! READ THIS

Administrator
12-07-2001, 03:46 AM
I have detected a new virus floating around. But, it looks like im to late!! This virus was only detected 2 days ago by Norton. I am losing my files as I type this and as soon as I restart my computer im afraid I will lose my browser. My AOL is already gone! This is the second major virus in two weeks. Yes, I have virus protection and I also scan my emails. Looks like I will start updating my virus definitons daily.

Here is a copy and paste from Norton.com.

++++++++++++++++++

The subject line reads "Hi." The text in the body of the email reads, "How are you? When I saw
this screen saver, I immediately thought about you. I am in a harry, I promise you will love it!"
When the attached document - Gone.scr - is executed, the worm modifies the registry, attempting
to delete files of common anti-virus and personal firewall products. If the files are in use and
cannot be deleted, the worm will create the file %SYSTEM%\Wininit.ini, which causes the files to
be deleted when the computer restarts.

Administrator
12-07-2001, 04:27 AM
Whew, I cought it. The virus ended up in my trash bin. After I updated my virus definitions Norton found it and I deleted it.

Be careful folks and make sure you have updated virus software. Also make sure you have it set to scan your emails as they come in.

I received this email ( virus ) from a major manufacturer not related to the green industry but a person from their company had registered to LawnSite.com and I guess my eamil was in their address book. I will never send out member emails with attachments so make sure not to open any.

Chuck Keough

Robert Doubrava
12-07-2001, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the notification, Chuck. I'll be on the look out.

plymouthvaliant73
12-07-2001, 09:03 PM
To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact named !0000 in your email address book with no email address in the details.

If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will put up an
error message saying: "The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."

Administrator
12-07-2001, 09:35 PM
Well, looks like it did some damage.

When I reboot my puter it won't run the startup virus check. It says needed files are missing and to check location. When I finish booting and open Norton everything seems to be fine. When I check c: for virus it finds none but says the config.sys cant be inoculated because its corrupted.

I can run all my programs for a few minutes before they just disappear. The puter does not crash, I just lose the program. It starts back up fine though.

Ugh

Robert Doubrava
12-07-2001, 10:08 PM
Man. I hope you can get it fixed. Good luck!:)

Administrator
12-07-2001, 11:16 PM
If I cant figure this out here pretty quick I will just reformat and backup. I do daily backups so I won't lose many personal files.

Don't worry about LawnSite.com data.... its on a seperate server.

Chuck

Robert Doubrava
12-07-2001, 11:18 PM
That's good to hear. Hope it goes smooth, Chuck!:)

KirbysLawn
12-08-2001, 06:19 AM
Chuck,

Seems you have this problem often. Why not try using hotmail as a email and receive your Pop3 emails there also? I runn all my email thru Hotmail, they have a very good system of scanning emails and they don't get onto your system. Hotmail will allow you to receive up to 4 additional pop3 email addresses. Might work.

Administrator
12-09-2001, 04:41 AM
Thats a good idea.. I just get so set in my ways I hate change.

Prolly happens to me more often cuz I get a ton of mail. I almost never open an attachment but I accidentally did this last one.

Chuck

morturf
12-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Chuck,
www.Symantic.com has a fix for the the goner thing. Free download. I am sure you found that already but just thought I'd try to help.