PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Landscape Designer

kevin1000
04-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but I'll try (yell at me if need be)

I've spent the last week reviewing Landscaping Software and came to the conclusion that Landscaping Pro was the only one that could do what I want and do it well. The price of that software is prohibiting me from purchasing it so I thought I would inquire here to see if anyone could do the design work for me. My thought would be to send the pictures and an idea of what I want and someone could quote me a price to do the design and I could build that into my cost.

Opinions / options?
Thanks
Kevin

Isobel
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, but why don't you do the design out by hand, instead of using a program? I didn't get a program until just a few years ago. before that I was doing designs by hand.

is the program you're looking at Landscaping Pro by IdeaSpectrum?

Skimastr105
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Realtime landscaping pro is only 100 bucks. it's made by idea spectrum... it should do just about anything you want it to do - well worth the price IMO.

If you want someone to do the design for you, let me know. I would be able to do it.
616-560-0790 or just PM me.

Alec.

kevin1000
04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Isobel,
I just did one using the DRAW capabilities of Word. It was ok to show them what I had in mind but I guess I'd like to take it to the next level if possible. One of the programs I'm looking at is here:
http://www.prolandscape.com/
If I'm going to do it I want it to look professional.

Ski,
I'm evaluating Realtime Landscaping Pro now but as of yet it doesn't seem to make it exactly the way I'd like. If possible, could you email me what rates you would be available for?

Also, could either of you post a final design in a jpg or something to see the end result of the program you are using.

Thanks for the replies,
Kevin

PaperCutter
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
So, to be clear- is what you're looking for design or drafting/rendering?

If it's the design, and you're looking to have something of quality done, are you charging the client for the design up front or hoping to land the job and roll the cost of the design into the install? Just keep in mind that most designers won't work on spec- you'll have to pay them whether or not you land the job. If it's just the drafting/rendering, you may be able to roll that into your overhead on the job.

kevin1000
04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Paper,
I believe I'm looking for drafting/rendering...final product that uses a picture of the existing landscaping and the new suggested landscaping. I will roll whatever cost into the job IF I get it / willing to pay whether I get the job or not.
Thanks
Kevin

Skimastr105
04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Below is an example of what a finished design/rendering could look like.

To discuss pricing, email me. akolenda at primeyardmaintenance.com (replace "at" with @)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/skimastr105/Porch.jpg

PaperCutter
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
oh, ok, gotcha- so you're looking for a photo rendering/ digital imaging type of thing. Definitely check out the program Ski's talking about. I don't currently offer the digital imaging, but I've been considering picking up a copy of one of the Idea Spectrum apps.

Isobel
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I looked at Pro Landscape, but I just couldn't deal with the price either.

Landscaping Pro works well enough for me. Its taken me a little while to get use to it though.

Dreams To Designs
04-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Digital imaging is great for selling or a customer presentation, but it is no good for designing. Designs should be done with paper and pencil or with CAD based software. Drafix, Pro Landscape is great software for CAD based plans, imaging and now true 3D capabilities.

We use Pro Landscape here and offer an hourly rate for imaging or design work. If you have already created your design layout and would like imaging for an additional selling feature, I would be happy to assist you.

Kirk

AGLA
04-25-2008, 07:40 AM
How much do you expect to pay for such a service?

I ask this question, not because I offer this service, but to get an idea on how much you value it.

The implication that I usually get when discussions of photoimaging comes up is that they are perceived as simple, easy, and effective for any monkey to do. If that is the case, it would seem that the price for such a program could approach the cost of having the service done for you and still be an effective investment. Or that it is so easy that it should cost very little to have someone do it for you.

Let's say that the program that you are looking at costs $2,000. You say the cost is prohibitive. How many renderings do you think that you will be able to pay for with that money? Will you expect to get 20 @ $100 each, or 10 @ $200, or 500 @ $4?

Look at what people put into these things and get all horny over because they make a good picture. The photo above is a nice well done photo, but the content is nothing. If you drew a plan with one Alberta Spruce and threw in 16 little princess spirea or whatever those things are and a few rocks you'd be laughed at.

This appeals to simple customers. If that is your market, it is worth it.

PaperCutter
04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I was wondering how long it would take to bring up the points you and Kirk made.

To be honest, that's one of the reasons I've resisted doing the photo imaging. I've had guys contact me, get the price for a plan, and say "you know, I don't really need the plan, just do a photo thing." I really wish my computer had a big fat "easy button" like that, but it all has to be thought out in plan view before the photo's remotely accurate or even buildable. I just assumed that the original poster already had a plan, and was just looking for someone to make some eye candy.

kevin1000
04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
1) How much do you expect to pay for such a service?
- depends on the details / low end maybe $60 / high end $400 / approx
2) I just assumed that the original poster already had a plan, and was just looking for someone to make some eye candy.
- I like the idea of "eye candy" for the customer / simple or not / do I have a plan ..not really
3) For the debate side..., I'm a Computer Tech (as well as lawn maint comp owner)/ what I do is easy for me and not for my customers / does that mean I want to *(&^ them / no / just enough to make a living / some things I don't like doing so I sub it out / could I do those things ..yep / do I want to...nope / thats how I feel about this..is it something I want to learn ...not really..if I can find someone at a cost that I feel comfortable with..I'll let them do it...if not I might do it myself (have already played with several of the programs) or I might just do a basic drawing and work with that
Thanks
Kevin
Wow ...was that long ...I think I'm tired :)

AGLA
04-26-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm sorry, Kevin. I thought you were the original poster. I meant to address him.