PDA

View Full Version : Time thread

humble1
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
your hints to save time.
I thought I might post a thread on time saving tips that are your favorite.

I use a garmin gps to do my estimates, i can do it in the shortest distance, or quickest time. I dont do appointments, I do it by location so Im not bouncing back and forth and wasting gas and time.

LawnTamer
04-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I am amazed at how long some people take to do paperwork. I keep a record for each property, on the record is a column for each application. I have all common weeds and bugs listed, as well as the chemicals/ferts I'll be using that month. When the application is done, I record the time, and just circle the weeds and bugs present and the chemicals/ferts used w/ amounts. It takes me literally 10-15 seconds. I have never been audited by the Dept of Ag. but my Bro-in-law (Whoopassonthebluegrass) has, he also uses this system, and the inspector thought it was sweeeeet.

kbrashears
04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
I am amazed at how long some people take to do paperwork. I keep a record for each property, on the record is a column for each application. I have all common weeds and bugs listed, as well as the chemicals/ferts I'll be using that month. When the application is done, I record the time, and just circle the weeds and bugs present and the chemicals/ferts used w/ amounts. It takes me literally 10-15 seconds. I have never been audited by the Dept of Ag. but my Bro-in-law (Whoopassonthebluegrass) has, he also uses this system, and the inspector thought it was sweeeeet.
Well......how about an attachment showing this?

LawnTamer
04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Well......how about an attachment showing this?

Here, I just tried to snap a pic of one. I croped off the top, but it would have the clients name, address, # and pricing info for their yard.

For each round, there is a master sheet, which shows the mix rates for that round, so I just need to circle the product and write the amount of solution applied. For Example; the master sheet for this year's round 1 would show that the 200 gallon standard mix is X bags of 46--, X lbs of Stonewall, X oz of 3-way and X oz of Lesco Spreader/sticker and X gallons of chelated Fe. So when I finish an application, I just circle the items in the mix/solution and record the amount of mix used. If I do something else while I'm there, I record that separately, for example; I applied dormant oil to the fruit trees while at this first stop, so next to D-oil I recorded 3g, meaning 3 gallons of solution were applied, the master sheet in the office, (there is one in my truck too), shows that I am currently mixing 12 oz of D-oil in my 6g sprayer.

I know this all seems complicated, but it really isn't. Just create a master sheet for each round, it is handy to have anyway, if you go to mix a product you don't use very often, and are not sure of the mix rate, instead of digging through 8 pgs of labeling, you can just check your master sheet.

Hopefully you can make it out, but there is also a line where I record the greeness of the lawn from Dormant to perfect, with 5 degrees in between.

There is a line for watering conditions, again 1-5 from dry to overwatered.

There is a line for weeds, none to tons with 5 degrees in between, then all my common weeds are abbreviated below, so I just circle the weeds present.
ddls=dandelions, clvr=clover, mlw=mallow, etc.

I used to have bugs listed, but most of my yards are very clean bug wise after the first yr, so I just record any bug problem by hand using abbreviations; SWW= sod web worm, BB=bilbugs etc. but I rarely record more than 1 in a day, most of my last yr I only had about 1% of my lawns that had any bug problems.

At the top, there is also a space for "Not Done" where we can record if there is a reason why the application was not made on the scheduled day. If the client calls and wants to know why their lawn wasn't done on the 21st of Mar. I can reference their card and see that it was because, the dog was out, or it was too windy, or a gate was locked, whatever. There is also a spot for if someone is home, sometimes people call and think the app wasn't done, as there wasn't anything on the door, I can look at the card and see that the grandfather was there, or the daughter, and say, "Well, it looks like your daughter was there, perhaps she took it." Usually they confirm it with whoever, and the problem is solved. These calls only happen about 2x per yr, but they really annoy me and I have lost clients because they think we didn't come.

Hope this helps.

humble1
04-24-2008, 10:10 PM

why circle when you could check mark? lol
im going to do that good point