PDA

View Full Version : Z-Spray Max or Intermediate

kbrashears
04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Money is not the issue. Which one will hold slight hills better? Which one is more bang for the buck?

I'm leaning towards the Max.

Thanks.

Tscape
04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Max all the way! It is really good on hills if you keep the hopper weight low and ride the hill in a sensible pattern. The only limitation of the Max that I can see is that it won't squeeze through a 36" gate.

Grandview
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I just bought the Max. I like the dual tank feature. I will not have to clean the tank every time I want to switch herbicides.

turf hokie
04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I have the max and have even gotten to the point of using it on a lot of residential lawns. I had originally bought for the large commercial only.

It is a great machine.

Grandview
04-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Turf Hokie, How small of a lawn do you use your max. I currently use Magnums and like them for smaller lawns, less than 10M. I bought my Z-Max for the dual tanks and added capacity. I have used my Z just to fertilize some athletic fields one day. I feel like I do not have time to get comfortable with it on the smaller lawn. Most days are a mix of small and larger lawns. So I just take the Magnum.

GREEN-UP
04-25-2008, 07:45 AM
I have the intermediate and it can hold a hill if you know how to operate it. I have it on very steep hills, slide sometimes when loaded up. My only regret is only getting 1 tank. I use it for a everything and it has sved money for years w minumal maintenaince. Watch the pump on em, there not built for longevity. Overall I cant say enough good things about my Z - spray

turf hokie
04-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Turf Hokie, How small of a lawn do you use your max. I currently use Magnums and like them for smaller lawns, less than 10M. I bought my Z-Max for the dual tanks and added capacity. I have used my Z just to fertilize some athletic fields one day. I feel like I do not have time to get comfortable with it on the smaller lawn. Most days are a mix of small and larger lawns. So I just take the Magnum.

Grandview,

I set some of my days so that I pull a trailer and skip the smaller than 10k lawns and only do big houses. That being said, I have used it on lawns as small as 5k. Sounds crazy but I have some streets that I do 5-6 houses on and they range from 5k to 20k so I just pull the z and do them all. I keep a hand crank on the gas tank for the small areas and a 2 gal hand can in one of the bag holders on the back.

When I do my spray only accounts I will put the z on anything. I run one tank with acclaim and the other with eliminate and I can easily spray 500k in a day by myself on residentials with it.

This is my third season with the z and this is the first year I have really put it out in the field like this. (I have 2 pg that still are not running properly, so basically my hand was forced into using the z more than I would normally)

As far as guys talking about hills.
I have found that the z will hold a hill ALMOST as good as a pg. The only difference is you can muscle a pg if need be, you ARE NOT doing anything with a z once it starts to slide. Just put 1 bag or less in the hopper and make sure you have 2 bags in the trays for counter weight and you will be amazed at how it will hold a hill if you go at it properly.

americanlawn
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
The above posts mention pulling trailers, using careful techniques & tactics to maneuver hills & slopes. We truly appreciate this advice. Thanks for this info, but you probably know what we have now. It's coming. Actually available for serious buyers, but you may have to wait in line for a little bit.:usflag:

turf hokie
04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
The above posts mention pulling trailers, using careful techniques & tactics to maneuver hills & slopes. We truly appreciate this advice. Thanks for this info, but you probably know what we have now. It's coming. Actually available for serious buyers, but you may have to wait in line for a little bit.:usflag:

Tired of the cat and mouse game.
1 old encore spreader sprayer
3 pg ultras
1 z max
countless push, hand crank and tank sprayers.

I only make informed decisions on my equipment and feel left in the dark on this new fangled contraption that seems just like big foot b/c everyone speaks of seeing it but cannot prove..........

Let me ride one for a week and I might get 1 or 3

kbrashears
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM

I'm a serious buyer, and this cat and mouse game has pushed me completely away from this product. 9 foot turning radius? What is it? A 98 Dodge 2500 LWB CTD? Ugh. No thanks.

I sure appreciate the feedback on the Z-spray. I would appreciate more so I know exactly what I'm getting into. I'm a hose dragger, extraordinaire. I'm about ready to start working less.

GREEN-UP
04-26-2008, 12:13 AM
I am sooo tired of hearing about this amzing new machine coming out. All I know is I have used a Z since they first came out, and yes the first years they were crap. I have no intention of ever changing due to the great service you get from L.T. Rich & Andy, and me being comfortable with its handling. What other Z can take a beating doing a 44 acre sports complex 5x a year in 2 days with same pump runing non stop. I plan on buying 2 more for next year. I want to see this new gizmo!!!

ted putnam
04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm a serious buyer, and this cat and mouse game has pushed me completely away from this product. 9 foot turning radius? What is it? A 98 Dodge 2500 LWB CTD? Ugh. No thanks.

I sure appreciate the feedback on the Z-spray. I would appreciate more so I know exactly what I'm getting into. I'm a hose dragger, extraordinaire. I'm about ready to start working less.

I was feeling the same way you are about 4 yrs ago. I bought my PG Ultra then. I will soon be in the market for another ride on. I've been very patient about it and listened to many others comments about all of the commonly used ride ons. I've heard lots of good things about the Z's. I've never used or demo'd one so I can't give you first hand experience but I would think the Z max would be a monster. Hell yea, that's what you want when you're doing some 15 acre corporate headquarters somewhere but if I were doing just good sized residential and light commercial, I think I would consider the intermediate or the Jr. Just my opinion...(based on reading,listening and looking.)

Tscape
04-26-2008, 08:11 AM
The Z-Max is extraordinarily nimble. It is not too big for anything but a 36" gate.