PDA

View Full Version : Exmark shutting down

Gabby
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Not my machine, friends, but here goes. About a 5-6 year old 52" Exmark Z with either a Kohler or Briggs engine, I think it is a Briggs. Can mow for a while then it will shut off. Starts right back up and will run for a while then does the same thing again. Replaced the fuel filter but still does the same thing. Electrical? Fuel Pump? Any ideas/experiences? Thanks.

Richard Martin
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Probably a Kohler. I don't think Exmark was using Briggs back then. Just Kawi and Kohler. Anyway...

Your friend is resetting something when he restarts the mower. I suspect one of the safety switches is going bad. I have a Lazer Z electrical manual here somewhere and if you can't fix it I'll try to dig it up.

mjlcare
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
we had that prob with a lesco, kawi engine and it was the fuel pump $8 part and just fix it

hope thats the problem

Marek13
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Check with him and see if its Briggs, If it is its $10 -I had the same exact issue on my walk behind blower with Briggs (look at the carb-it will have a round bowl with float inside once you take it apart you will see needle once you take it apart there is a small rubber O-rind (or it looks like a round rubber with a hole in the middle) this part is bad or clogged.
what it happening it the hole is blocked and does not let the fuel in as fast so Engine will run as long as there is the fuel in the carb bowl once this is done it will die and then slowly the fuel will fill the carb bowl and then it will start again and run as lone as there is fuel in carb bowl
Try it and you will see (that it is if its Briggs Engine)-

mowermankevin
04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Gabby, Is it a Kohler, please post M# and S# and engine spec if possible, when you say it shuts down, is it like turning of the key, or does it die a slow gasping (no fuel) death?

Gabby
04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I just went and took a look at it. Yeah it is a 21 HP Kohler engine on his Exmark 52" Lazer Z rider. He says it will run for 15 - 20 minutes or so and then it spits and sputters and shuts off. He fires it back up and can mow a few more rows and it does the same thing and will keep doing it the entire time. Then next time he goes to use it the same thing. It takes 15-20 minutes and then it starts the shutting down routine again. Appreciate the replies so far. Keep them coming as he has it in his shop right now and we will take a look at it with all your suggestions. Thanks.

Breezmister
04-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Remove the gas cap and run it, if it doesn't die, replace the gas cap.
Take a flash light and look into the tank and see if there is junk in there, the pick up might be partially clogged Clean the tank out.
Make sure that the fuel shut off is completely open.:)
Let me know if any of this was of help. Good Luck

rclopez1118
04-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Has to be a Kohler. I would`nt think a company like Exmark would even think of adding a Briggs on a 52". Check the Ign coils or coil for spark after it shuts down (if you have the right tool for that). The famous for coil failures.

mc752000
04-26-2008, 04:20 PM
My exmark was doing that just recently and it was the electrical module. They changed it out and works like a charm now.

jrc lawncare
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Probably a Kohler. I don't think Exmark was using Briggs back then. Just Kawi and Kohler. Anyway...

Your friend is resetting something when he restarts the mower. I suspect one of the safety switches is going bad. I have a Lazer Z electrical manual here somewhere and if you can't fix it I'll try to dig it up. What it was on my tracer. :waving:

Bill Kapaun
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Did you use the Genuine Kohler fuel filter?
I've heard of a few cases where an after market filter has caused similar problems. I haven't heard about that on other brands. Not really sure why?

VegetiveSteam
04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Can you get an actual model number off the engine? I don't know of a 21hp Kohler. Anyway you may want to have your friend try a higher grade of gas. Gas isn't what it used to be even a few months ago. If it is a V-twin Kohler it has two ignition modules on it and even if one goes down the engine would still run on one cylinder.

Gabby
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Can you get an actual model number off the engine? I don't know of a 21hp Kohler. Anyway you may want to have your friend try a higher grade of gas. Gas isn't what it used to be even a few months ago. If it is a V-twin Kohler it has two ignition modules on it and even if one goes down the engine would still run on one cylinder.

He said it was a "21 HP - I think". Definitely a Kohler. And yes it is a V twin. I will have to see if there is a model/serial # tag on it. Where are these ignition modules? Any idea how mush they cost? Might be a good idea to get one (or two if they are cheap) and try it and see if it fixes his problem. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

Gabby
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Did you use the Genuine Kohler fuel filter?
I've heard of a few cases where an after market filter has caused similar problems. I haven't heard about that on other brands. Not really sure why?

Don't know, I will have to ask him. I thought he got it from the dealer. Will check though. Thanks.

Richard Martin
04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
He said it was a "21 HP - I think". Definitely a Kohler. And yes it is a V twin. I will have to see if there is a model/serial # tag on it. Where are these ignition modules? Any idea how mush they cost? Might be a good idea to get one (or two if they are cheap) and try it and see if it fixes his problem. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

The problem is not the modules or the coils. Go ahead, waste your money replacing parts that aren't bad.

If you want to fix the mower and do it as cheaply as possible you have to look at the symptoms and do quick checks of the systems on the mower.

If it was a problem with one of the modules it would run bad all of the time and not shut off by itself. If it was a problem with either coil it would also run bad and then it would still run bad if you started it back up without letting the coils cool off. Bad coils only "fix" themselves after they've had a chance to cool off.

Gabby
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
The problem is not the modules or the coils. Go ahead, waste your money replacing parts that aren't bad.

Always has to be someone like this - WTF?

Richard Martin
04-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Always has to be someone like this - WTF?

Nevermind. You are obviously well trained with many years of experience at repairing small engines.

rjxj
04-28-2008, 06:27 AM
As the other guy said, check the gas cap issue. When its ready to die try to choke it and see if it stays running. Martins point is that you want to take a troubleshooting approach. If it has a fuel problem you want to prove it. If its loosing spark, you want to prove it. If the anti diesel solenoid is loosing power you want to prove it. You can connect a light bulb, test light, etc to the adiesel circuit, and see if the light goes out when the problem occurs. You can use two spark testers that connect in in with your spark plug lead and "see" it loosing spark. You want to narrow it down to fuel or ingition. Its most likely not loosing compression on both cylinders and quiting. I have seem single cylinders with sticky exhaust valves act exactly as this machine acts. The point is......you want to PROVE what is wrong.

Gabby
04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
As the other guy said, check the gas cap issue. When its ready to die try to choke it and see if it stays running. Martins point is that you want to take a troubleshooting approach. If it has a fuel problem you want to prove it. If its loosing spark, you want to prove it. If the anti diesel solenoid is loosing power you want to prove it. You can connect a light bulb, test light, etc to the adiesel circuit, and see if the light goes out when the problem occurs. You can use two spark testers that connect in in with your spark plug lead and "see" it loosing spark. You want to narrow it down to fuel or ingition. Its most likely not loosing compression on both cylinders and quiting. I have seem single cylinders with sticky exhaust valves act exactly as this machine acts. The point is......you want to PROVE what is wrong.

Exactly - I want to prove what is wrong. As most people know the first steps in troubleshooting something is to gather information on the problem and then troubleshoot the problem based on the information as you go. Right now I am "gathering information". That is why I came here to ask what others have seen. I am just trying to help a friend. I guess the best thing to have done is tell him to take it to the arrogant Exmark dealer or small engine repair guy. If it were my machine and in my hands for testing/troubleshooting it would make it a lot easier, but it is not so that is why I want to go on your suggestions. Thanks to those that have tried to help so far.

rjxj
04-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep, I hope I didnt say any of it the wrong way. I know I sometimes say things the wrong way. I notice others do at times also. We mean no harm and I know Im not being a smart ass. It just comes out wrong at times. We all like what we are doing and enjoy bs ing with people.

Gabby
04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep, I hope I didnt say any of it the wrong way. I know I sometimes say things the wrong way. I notice others do at times also. We mean no harm and I know Im not being a smart ass. It just comes out wrong at times. We all like what we are doing and enjoy bs ing with people.

No you did not come across wrong at all. Yours was a helpful post. Thanks.

topsites
04-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Just for kicks, I'd go ahead and replace the air filter and both spark plugs.
Because the air filter could be dirty and partly choking the engine.
Not so sure about the plugs but eliminate this as a possibility anyhow, gap .035
And yes, dump some 93 octane in that tank.
Then try it again...

If it still acts stupid the carb might need a good cleaning, also check the float mechanism in the bowl (careful taking it apart).

Gabby
04-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Just for kicks, I'd go ahead and replace the air filter and both spark plugs.
Because the air filter could be dirty and partly choking the engine.
Not so sure about the plugs but eliminate this as a possibility anyhow, gap .035
And yes, dump some 93 octane in that tank.
Then try it again...

If it still acts stupid the carb might need a good cleaning, also check the float mechanism in the bowl (careful taking it apart).

Air filter already replaced. Not sure about the plugs. Going to tell him to look at the things suggested so far - Plugs, carb, gas caps off, safety switches, etc. You know the simple things. Thanks.