PDA

View Full Version : Spreader/settings

mowerbrad
04-24-2008, 05:29 PM
A few months ago I remember looking at a spreader that was a rotary spreader but had the ability to convert to a drop spreader to you can get closer to flower beds and such. I would like to look into purchasing one like that but don't remember what company makes it or how much it costs? Any thoughts? Also some granular fertilzers don't have settings for certain spreaders on the bags. So how would I determine what rate to set a spreader at if the bag does not tell me???

RigglePLC
04-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Lesco sold the convertable drop and rotary spreader. But MTD now owns the rights to their spreader. Check with their main dealer Cub Katette.

amscapes03
04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
You can still get a rotary/drop spreader from Lesco. Bought one about 2 weeks ago. If there's no spreader settings on the fert. bag you'll need to know the square footage of the property. The bag should say how many pounds per thousand square feet.

mowerbrad
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
How much would I expect to pay for one? I'm pretty new to the whole fertilizer thing but I would like to explore it and get into it in the next few years. Okay, so I understand that I should put X number of pounds per thousand square feet but how would I determine what setting that is on a spreader?

amscapes03
04-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I was just looking for the receipt a minute ago. I think it was $399.00

amscapes03
04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Sorry...good point on the setting. After today's work i'm slightly brain dead.

teeca
04-24-2008, 10:10 PM
if you need to look at the fert bag to get your settings, then you need not be applying anything... because your most likely not applying correctly. sorry, but you really shouldn't...

tlg
04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I bought one of those Lesco roto drops a few years ago. Calibrating the drop end was more or less a crap shoot. Not sure if anything was ever accurate. Our Lesco rep at the time even felt it was less than what it was supposed to be. The concept was good. Just not user friendly in my mind.

mowerbrad
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
if you need to look at the fert bag to get your settings, then you need not be applying anything... because your most likely not applying correctly. sorry, but you really shouldn't...

Like I had said earlier in this thread, I don't currently do fertilizing. Fertilizing is something that I want to explore so I can hopefully add that to my services that I already offer. I will probably get my applicators license within the next few years and then start doing fertilizing, but until then I just want to find out as much as I can about this.