PDA

View Full Version : hose won't reach

Turfdoctor1
04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
i know this sounds like a personal problem, but...

I have 200 feet of hose for my 200 gallon skid sprayer. I have no permagreen or ride on, and I need about 600 feet of hose to reach the back end of the property that I desperately want to manage. This is for the biggest celebrity in NW Arkansas, any guesses?

What would you do?

(1) Tell them no thanks.
(2) Buy a PG.
(3) Sub it out.
(4) Find a bigger hose.
(5) Something else.

Thanks.

Victor
04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
(6) I'd buy a Gregson-Clark skid sprayer, because the Hannay hose reels they come with hold 600 feet of hose. Problem solved. :)

mdlwn1
04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
300 ft is usually the max on those reels. No one can tell you if the job is good, but why can't you buy another 300ft and just screw them together when needed? (biggest celebrrity in Norht west AK)...lmao

Turfdoctor1
04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
thanks guys. both good ideas. unfortunately, i need to be ready Monday.

RigglePLC
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
So...if it is not too wet...drive the truck on the grass. (With permission of course.) Also I had a similar situation--and I was able to convince a near neighbor to let me park on her drive so I could reach the back lot, ( I had to do part of her lawn for free.)

Of course, maybe you could use a hand spread and a Synergy--it would take a long time. Battery operated back pack is another possibility.

Or could you convince a friend to rent his Permagreen or similar set up? In fact, rent a 300 foot hose.

humble1
04-24-2008, 09:16 PM
(6) I'd buy a Gregson-Clark skid sprayer, because the Hannay hose reels they come with hold 600 feet of hose. Problem solved. :)

Vic where ya been?

humble1
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
thanks guys. both good ideas. unfortunately, i need to be ready Monday.

Buy a 50 gallon tank setup for a lawn tractor from tractor supply you can tow it.

LawnTamer
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Biggest celebrity in Arkansas? Hmmmm, Is it a Clinton? They moved to NY. The guy who played Cooter on the Dukes of Hazard? Karl Malone has a house in Arkansas.

I have 300' of hose and can barely get into the back corners of a few properties, but I can get them all, I would consider driving onto the property, or using a smaller sprayer, I've done parks before, I just drove right onto the lawn.

Turfdoctor1
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Biggest celebrity in Arkansas? Hmmmm, Is it a Clinton? They moved to NY. The guy who played Cooter on the Dukes of Hazard? Karl Malone has a house in Arkansas.

I have 300' of hose and can barely get into the back corners of a few properties, but I can get them all, I would consider driving onto the property, or using a smaller sprayer, I've done parks before, I just drove right onto the lawn.

haha. cooter. nope.

we are way too wet for me to consider driving onto the lawn. there is an empty lot to the east, but still worried about getting stuck.

ted putnam
04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd say Sam Walton but he's gone to the big Wal-Mart in the sky. I used to run a 300ft hose and it just wasn't enough. I now run 400ft of 3/8. Best move I ever made. That still wouldn't help you by Monday. Westheffer had the 400ft lengths of 3/8 for .65 per ft. you could order it and splice in like the previous post suggested or find an alternate way to the back of the property. I'd say you could borrow my Ultra but 3 hr trip one way and no way to get you confident in such a short time.(Not to mention it's making me a bunch of money right now and I couldn't do without it. When it's not raining!!!)

JB1
04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
crank up the pressure and wait for a windy day.

grandview (2006)
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't you have a farm supply store that might sell 3/8 hose?

hmartin
04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
What are you applying? Can't go granular just long enough to get your foot in the door? Do you have a ride on mower? You can have a nice boom rig set up in a couple of hours.

Marcos
04-25-2008, 02:08 AM
What are you applying? Can't go granular just long enough to get your foot in the door? Do you have a ride on mower? You can have a nice boom rig set up in a couple of hours.

No kidding !
Is this really 'virgin' lawn that's loaded with weeds, etc....or is it something that you could "huff out" :cry: just this 1st round with your trusty commercial grade spreader ?....and the granular weed /feed that actually WORKS : the "elite" sized particles applied onto a wet, dewy turf !!

It'll "buy" you some time to make arrangements a short time later...for how you're going to address the future care of this area for the next "round".
But initially it'll show some GRIT and determination on your part to the customer !
There's value in THAT... if you DON'T "overplay" it !!! :)

....and just consider the whole experience your "AEROBIC WORKOUT" for next week !!!
:weightlifter:

Turfdoctor1
04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
No kidding !
Is this really 'virgin' lawn that's loaded with weeds, etc....or is it something that you could "huff out" :cry: just this 1st round with your trusty commercial grade spreader ?....and the granular weed /feed that actually WORKS : the "elite" sized particles applied onto a wet, dewy turf !!

It'll "buy" you some time to make arrangements a short time later...for how you're going to address the future care of this area for the next "round".
But initially it'll show some GRIT and determination on your part to the customer !
There's value in THAT... if you DON'T "overplay" it !!! :)

....and just consider the whole experience your "AEROBIC WORKOUT" for next week !!!
:weightlifter:

Thanks guys. great responses! I think my best options are attaching more hose, or as marcos suggested, using the elite grade weed and feed.

I'm certainly not afraid of hoofing it. I have 8 two acre lots that I do with my push spreader, but they are pretty well clean. This lawn is not brand new, but it definitely has some broadleaf issues. It set empty for 6 months to a year, i believe. As it is, it only has 38,000 square feet. And, I probably can reach it all with 300 foot of hose. But, they are adding more sod in the near future.

Ted, thanks for the offer. I appreciate you man. But, you are right, 3 hours is a ways. I'm still in good with my former employer (University), actually the way I got the account. Maybe they will rent me their PG for a day.

Again, thanks for the overwhelming positive response, very helpful. Although noone has guessed the celeb yet. I'm dying to tell someone. HINT: Former residences, Louisville, Atlanta.

Turfdoctor1
04-25-2008, 08:43 AM
crank up the pressure and wait for a windy day.

only if I needed an extra 50 feet. haha.

kbrashears
04-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. great responses! I think my best options are attaching more hose, or as marcos suggested, using the elite grade weed and feed.

I'm certainly not afraid of hoofing it. I have 8 two acre lots that I do with my push spreader, but they are pretty well clean. This lawn is not brand new, but it definitely has some broadleaf issues. It set empty for 6 months to a year, i believe. As it is, it only has 38,000 square feet. And, I probably can reach it all with 300 foot of hose. But, they are adding more sod in the near future.

Ted, thanks for the offer. I appreciate you man. But, you are right, 3 hours is a ways. I'm still in good with my former employer (University), actually the way I got the account. Maybe they will rent me their PG for a day.

Again, thanks for the overwhelming positive response, very helpful. Although noone has guessed the celeb yet. I'm dying to tell someone. HINT: Former residences, Louisville, Atlanta.
So you got Petrino's account? I was going to guess that or Don Tyson.

Backpack it for now, get some more accounts, get a ride-on. I see no reason why you couldn't go ahead and put down a granular pre emergent and spot the broadleafs and grassy weeds. If you can't do it, I'll drive over there and do it.

Marcos
04-25-2008, 01:11 PM

I don't shop Lesco/Deere anymore for lots of reasons that don't apply to this thread...and I do (almost) all liquid apps now as well...including slow-release liquid fert.

But in my limited experiences with commercial-grade weed-n-feeds; Lesco's "Momentum 21-0-12" (I think that's the analysis)....or "Momentum 0-0-7" ---(without fertilizer at all...for 'spot treating' with granular)...
are probably the best premium weed-n-feeds on the market !

They're "elite" grade, which means they're kinda like a "sand" consistancy.
(So watch it...especially....spreading it on a WINDY day!)
And if I'm not mistaken...there's IRON in them too!

A tip on getting better results with granular weed-n-feeds:

Time[B] the granular app so that it's "right in between" the mowings by about 3 days or so "on both sides" of the herbicide app...and like I said before; on a nice [B]dewy morning good-and-early, so that the stuff sticks to the weeds real nice for you !

Many people apply these products...then MOW the next day!
(well...DUH!) :confused:
....the A.I. didn't get much of a chance to translocate to the ROOTS...did it ?!?

The same holds true for mowing just immediately before ANY application (granular OR liquid !!)...
Are you not "mowing off" alot of your "target surface" by mowing the day B4...or the same day AS spraying ?!?

Ted Turner didn't move over there, did he ?!?

(please say no)

Victor
04-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Vic where ya been?

I've heard that a lately Buddy. I've been really busy between trying to finish round 1, running estimates and especially getting my van set up for round 2. I hope everything's going well with you.

Turfdoctor... If the ground isn't too wet, I think pulling your truck onto the lawn is your only option right now if you can't spend more money.

Turfdoctor1
04-25-2008, 05:40 PM
i bought an extra 150 foot of hose today. that should get me by until they add more sod.

i've got to break down and buy the PG. I'm doing ~70 acres right now.

ted putnam
04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Do like I did. Go to the bank. Put a little money on it or some collateral and make payments for 24 or 36 months. You'll be damned glad you did...especially in July and August!

VARMIT COMMISSION
04-26-2008, 09:21 AM
You need to buy my hps ride on spreader. Then you could ride all day and never have to push a spreader again. You could even design a sprayer to put on it and spray this big lot while riding. There you go- problem solved.

Ric
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Turf

Having been in the mowing business I still have a good ZTR left. I made my on own Spread & Spray machine for under $ 500 material cost. Since most of my accounts are in the 3 to 5 k range I use it very little.