PDA

View Full Version : Straight gas in a 2 cycle

Lynden-Jeff
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
So my new employee put some straight gas in our echo 650. My bad since I didn't explain it to them. Now my partner noticed since it started to crap out. We emptied and filled with mixed fuel and it seems to run fine other then a ping at idle. What would this ping be? It seemed to go away a little throughout the day. We used the blower all day for spring cleanup.

Cheers
Jeff

ed2hess
04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
If you would have taken the spark plug out immediately and put striaght oil in then turned the pistion by hand for a a couple hundred revs it would have cleaned up the ring/chanber surface. I would pull the muffler off and see if the rings look like they are okay. Probably should pull the head and check what is going on before you blow something up. I had same thing happen on the 650 and it has gone almost 5 years since that situation and has had heavy use.

jkilov
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Somewhere, somehow, someone always manages to put straight gas in 2-strokes, nothing new.
A few years back I bought a couple of transparent fuel canisters from a stihl dealership. No troubles ever since.

rclopez1118
04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
The "ping" noise could be your clutch drum too. it has nothing to do with the straight gas issue, but you did say "ping noise". By the way, don`t take anything off other than the plug and add a few drops of 2 cycle oil in the cylinder, just in case it lost any lube in the crankcase. may smoke for a lil bit, but will work just fine.

G.M.Landscaping
04-26-2008, 10:38 AM
The "ping" noise could be your clutch drum too. it has nothing to do with the straight gas issue, but you did say "ping noise". By the way, don`t take anything off other than the plug and add a few drops of 2 cycle oil in the cylinder, just in case it lost any lube in the crankcase. may smoke for a lil bit, but will work just fine.

It's a blower, not a string trimmer. No clutch

jkilov
04-26-2008, 11:27 AM
The "ping" could be wrecked needle bearing, but its just a guess.

Good thing your employee noticed, they usually seize up quick.