PDA

View Full Version : Kohler CV730 Carb Soleniod Wiring

Kendzerski2
04-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I am trying to wire a new Kohler Command CV730 to an older Craftsman mower. I have the correct key switch but the wiring doesn't make sense. The Red wire from the solenoid splits into two wires in the harness before the plug (working backward from the solenoid). One is supposed to go to the Batt+ terminal on the key switch along with the purple charging wire. But if this is true the solenoid would always have power and therefore kill the battery when not running. The second red wire is supposed to join the starter solenoid wire to the Start terminal on the battery. That's fine but if that red wire previously joined to a wire that always has power wouldn't that mean that the starter solenoid always has power and keep cranking the starter? I can separate the first wire and hook it to the run on acc terminal on the key switch so that the carb solenoid only has power when I turn the key to run. But there is only one Start terminal on the key switch and no other terminal gets power when the key is in the start position. So how do I get the solenoid to get power in the start position and run position without killing the batter or constantly supplying power to the starter solenoid? I have included a diagram that I am using.

Bill Kapaun
04-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Forget your diagram and wire the solenoid to the A1 terminal of the switch.

Kendzerski2
04-25-2008, 10:03 AM
But then it dosn't get power in the start position and when trying to start. So how does it start then?

Bill Kapaun
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Instead of saying "older Craftsman", why don;t you post the actual Sears 917.xxxxx number. Some of those schematics are available.
Have you actually checked the A1 terminal?
Does the switch HAVE an A1 terminal.
The Craftsman schematics I have (7 pin switch) show the A1 being energized in the start AND run positions. Is this only a 5 pin switch?

Kendzerski2
04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you for your help. I don't have the sears 917 number. It's a late '80s to early '90's mower that once had a Kohler MV18 in it. It does't matter anyway because all of the Kohler CV730's have the same basic wiring especially when it comes to the carb solenoid. It has a 6 pin key switch - 5 for the plug and 1 for ground. And as I said earlier the key switch only has power at the start terminal when the key is turned to start. Anyways, I have since found a better schematic for the CV730 that shows that there are two diodes in each of the lines running to the carb solenoid that does not allow the "juice" to flow back to the starter etc. when in run position. I have included the schematic for you to look in case you would like to view for future knowledge or reference. Thank you for your help though.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/kohler/service-manual-cv17-745.pdf

This is a link to the complete service manual pg 117 shows the wiring diagram.
Through a Kohler shop I can get a diode that wires right in with a crimp on plug in terminal. The part number is L71879. This is off another larger tractor but will work fine and is in stock.

Just thought I would add the extra info in case anyone would like to use it for future reference.

Also as mentioned several places the solenoid can be removed and the solenoid pin can be snipped and the solenoid then doesn't even have to be wired in. Also the solenoid can be completely removed and a carb float bowl bolt and gasket washer can be installed in its place. I as told that all the solenoid does is prevent fuel to continue to enter the engine when it's shut of to eliminate the back fire that occurs with many small engines.

Bill Kapaun
04-25-2008, 07:01 PM
If you want to do a bit of splicing, you could just pick up a couple diodes from Radio Shack.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=2032058&kw=diode&origkw=diode&sr=1