PDA

View Full Version : I hate PITA's

Grass Happens
04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I had a customer late last week that I just need to vent about. She originally called my Design professor wanting the entire landscape design class to do a design for her, "It would be good experience for the kiddies" she said. She then wanted it installed during our "work week" which is when we spend a week on campus getting hands on experience. Both are things we don't do for residential clients as it takes away from area businesses. normally we redo old designs our teacher had done, or we do like libraries etc. Instead my prof. gives her a number of a class mate, who is a pretty good designer. My class mate then has me quote out the job. Nothing too major, less then 2500$, still takes me two meetings with the customer and lots of calling around. She looks it over, and says "I was under the impression you got plant material wholesale, whats your mark-up?, I don't want to pay you for plants I can get cheaper at Lowe's." I started to talk about the better quality, larger size, etc, she then Interrupts me again and said the she didn't care about that, she wanted it done cheap. I should also mention she lives it the ritziest area of my town. I thanked her, and politely sped away. I should have known when she wanted everything done for free, but i guess spring fever just had gotten a hold on me...

Isobel
04-25-2008, 02:57 AM
ugh, I know exactly the type of client you're talking about here. I've come across so many of them. You're right to speed away, its usually the best option...

hang in there
:drinkup:

PaperCutter
04-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Eventually, you'll come to recognize the red flags thrown up by prospects and you won't even waste the time. Sounds like your classmate is already there, if s/he pawned her off on you.

KGR landscapeing
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Eventually, you'll come to recognize the red flags thrown up by prospects and you won't even waste the time. Sounds like your classmate is already there, if s/he pawned her off on you.

no his buddy dose design work not install. my buddy dose that some times to me sends over a whole layout but writes cheap skate on the paper that comes with it. i just call and mark up whats gonna make it well worth it. they go well this and that. i go it Is what it is and they go ill get back to you i go have a nice day:waving:

Grass Happens
04-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Yea, this was the first time my class mate has ever done this. She is a really talented designer, but only 19, w/o any customer experience, so I said I'd help her out since I have a business and am going on my, um 4th year. So in the end we both learned something I guess.