PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

LeifGreen
04-25-2008, 07:35 AM
I have a Kohler 25hp that I think needs a new head gasket. is this an expensive repair?

thanks

jkilov
04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Depends,

it's inexpensive if you can do it yourself. The gasket is probably 10-15$ per piece and you'll also need 4 new head bolts.

If you take it to the dealer, Kohler has something like a 50$/hr labor charge, so your fast looking at 150-180$ inc. parts.

I'm assuming it's a V-twin kohler command. A known issue with this engine and all sorts of troubles. A redesigned head was also issued.

Hope you get your mower up and running soon.

LeifGreen
04-25-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah it is the vtwin. I just bought it, have only used it to cut my front yard once. tried to start it the next day and nothing. I'm still waiting on deck bearings from the lady that sold it to me. they were supposed to be in on monday.

anyway thanks for the info.

leif

jkilov
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Don't mention it.

Just make sure you change the head bolts (the original ones are production faults and caused your problem) and torque them down correctly.

John

briggs33
04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
im in the process of fixing my kohler 25hp command v-twin. i had to remove the head because the #2 side wasn't firing. It was getting spark and gas but what it was, the valve seat came loose on it and bent two push rods. I replaced the head gasket intake and exhaust gasket (set) and it came with intake exhaust head gaskets and four new head bolts/nuts and washers for head studs. Its fairly easy to remove the head. You need to remove the front cover and screen for flywheel unbolt the cover under the head remove spark plug wires air cleaner valve cover depends on which side but remove the fuel line from the fuel pump and the choke and throttle cable set up and muffler then you're pretty much done. oh its not expensive its only like $8 from where i got it.

VegetiveSteam
04-26-2008, 11:43 AM
If you buy the genuine Kohler head gasket it will come with the head bolts. It also comes with nuts and washers for those engines using studs instead of bolts. The part number is 24 841 03S. The suggested list price is 19.50 and is available from any Kohler dealer.

LeifGreen
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
thanks guys, I was going to have someone do it for me, but everyones like two weeks behind. maybe ill do it myself.

thanks.
leif

VegetiveSteam
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Something I forgot to mention. While you have the head off check it for flatness or have it checked. If the head isn't true you'll be doing this job again in about 20 hours. You don't want the head to be anymore than .003 out of flat. .002 max would be better. The repair manual says up to .003 is still ok to use. If it's more than .005 you will need a new head. Under .005 and you can have it planed flat. The problem with taking off more than about .002 the compression will be too high the engine may have trouble truning over. And also the head gasket kit will contain one intake and one exhaust manifold gasket so you will only need to get those for one side unless you're replacing both head gaskets then 2 kits will be all that you need.