PDA

View Full Version : Scotts:(

pinto n mwr
04-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm sure everyone knows by now the latest dilema with Scott's.

Is this potentially going to increase your business or give the industry a bad name? Like it or not but the average homeowner compares the products we use to a "Scotts" product.

bug-guy
04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
what ????????????

MnLefty
04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about this story about a Scott's employee going around the law on registration issues (http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2008/04/21/daily31.html)?

Not really sure how this would hurt the average guy... Seems like a chance to pick up Scotts customers to me.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah. What are you referencing?

lawnangel1
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
What are you talking about? I'm very curious.

pinto n mwr
04-25-2008, 08:57 PM
all scotts products that contain pesticides, primarily the HALTS are to be stopped from selling, using, etc due to invalid EPA numbers. Good source here in town hear is that the local Scotts branch is hurting because of it. Since Scotts is the primary brand in the local home improvement stores it may increase our business or may hurt it. I know it will probably improve it for two reasons, 1, the inabilty for the homeowner to get the product, 2, scotts not being able to apply their product and keep costs down which in return they might be priced out of the market.

Anyone else heard this? MnLefty did.

vegomatic40
04-26-2008, 10:07 AM
How the hell does a company that large not have to forsight to get/keep their products with valid reg. numbers?! The incompetency is mind boggling. I would say that when the %#(t hit the fan that morning there was shortage of boxes to clean out desks as more than a few heads had to roll.

tamadrummer
04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1359080/epa_orders_scotts_to_stop_sales_of_two_more_pesticides/index.html?source=r_science

There is a link to the story. Looks pretty rough for Scotts at least for the short term.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I feel soooooo bad for them. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh wait, no - no I don't.

Ric
04-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I feel soooooo bad for them. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh wait, no - no I don't.

Whoopass

While we all might jump for joy that Scotts got gigged. Do you actually think it will hurt them????? Scotts has done a fine job of overcharging the public and making them like it. I watch their TV commercials in disbelieve that they can actually tell those lies.

Happy Frog
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
It sounds more like more BS from EPA than anything else.
If they found some mislabeled products, it is likely they all have the same chemical in them and a simple sticker applied on the packaging would have fixed the issue.
But no, EPA cares about us and put pressure on Scotts to recall their products instead.
I don't think anyone will gain from this situation. There are other brands readily available to the public in any big store.

Hissing Cobra
04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
How the hell does a company that large not have to forsight to get/keep their products with valid reg. numbers?! The incompetency is mind boggling. I would say that when the %#(t hit the fan that morning there was shortage of boxes to clean out desks as more than a few heads had to roll.

It's easy how this can happen. I worked for Scotts for almost 5 years and what I saw there, I could write a book on. They have a business model that puts extreme amounts of stress on their workers. This involves everyone on the totem pole - from the lowest paid workers to their managers. Their turnover rate for employees is something like 300%!:dizzy: Whenever someone quits, they throw the next available person into their chair-whether that person knows what he's doing or not. A lot of crap falls through the cracks and because of the stress that these people endure to perform their jobs, a lot of them will make unethical mistakes in their quest to complete things on time.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Do you actually think it will hurt them?

No. Not for an instant. Thus, I have no compassion for the big guys AT ALL. I guess my dripping sarcasm got lost in the keyboard somewhere...

Ric
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
No. Not for an instant. Thus, I have no compassion for the big guys AT ALL. I guess my dripping sarcasm got lost in the keyboard somewhere...

Whoopass

No it was fully understood. Maybe my sarcasm wasn't. That is why I ask if you thought it would hurt them.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Whoopass

No it was fully understood. Maybe my sarcasm wasn't. That is why I ask if you thought it would hurt them.

Haha. My bad. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

captn
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Is there a better consumer product? I don't get the hostility to Scotts.

PHS
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't get the hostility to Scotts.

No hostility from me, I love Scotts. I pick up their unhappy customers left and right and most of the time it seems like they are marketing and pre-selling services for me. All I have to say is "I will take care of the trees and shrubs too" or "lets take a soil sample to see what's really going on" or "I can help you adjust the irrigation timer" or basically any other sign that I'm there to help the customer and I'm on the property and can practically name the price. My business strongly benefits from their presence in the market.