PDA

View Full Version : Which sulphur to use?

PHS
04-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I got back some turf soil samples with very high pH numbers. With the highish clay content I think it's an exercise in futility to try to get it into the ideal range but I may try it anyway to see what happens.

I've mostly used Tiger 90 for ornamentals, what do you guys like to use on turf?

Ric
04-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I got back some turf soil samples with very high pH numbers. With the highish clay content I think it's an exercise in futility to try to get it into the ideal range but I may try it anyway to see what happens.

I've mostly used Tiger 90 for ornamentals, what do you guys like to use on turf?

PHS

Tiger 0-0-0-90 actually has 10% Bentonite. Bentonite is a clay that helps hold the Sulfur in the soil. 10 pounds per thousand will drop pH one point 30 days after application.

vegomatic40
04-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I used a product several years ago called "DisperSul" on some Pin Oaks that were extremely chlorotic with a remarkable recovery. Wish I could help you find it but I did a websearch with little luck. It may be similar to Tiger 90 as most elemental-Sulfurs tend to be narrow in range but not sure if it contains any Bentonite. I think it was also labeled for turf.

heritage
04-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I used a product several years ago called "DisperSul" on some Pin Oaks that were extremely chlorotic with a remarkable recovery. Wish I could help you find it but I did a websearch with little luck. It may be similar to Tiger 90 as most elemental-Sulfurs tend to be narrow in range but not sure if it contains any Bentonite. I think it was also labeled for turf.

Yes I used this. Add in Fe,Mn also, in the correct ratio for the Pin Oaks.

Works very well for the Chlorosis.

Pete

PHS
04-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Veg, Did you ever use any dispersul on turf? I stopped at an ag supply store that I buy some of my materials from and he had a pallet of dispersul in the back corner of the warehouse. The Tiger 90 is a granular product but if I can apply the dispersul as a liquid that would be relatively easy for turf.

vegomatic40
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
PHS-I don't think DisperSul is sprayable. As best as I remember it is polymer coated but I could be wrong. See if you can get your supplier to fax you a label or go by and get one. You may be trying to avoid pushing a spreader through St. Augy or Zoysia but it only would only be a little discomfort for some potential long-term benefit. Since his pallet of DisperSul has been sitting for a while he might swing some kind of sweet deal for you to get it out of his wharehouse.

PHS
04-29-2008, 08:53 AM
It took a few minutes but I finally found the manufacturer of it. They have several different Dispersul products that from the description sound like they are all granular. I think I got confused because on the bag there was minimal description and it said something about dispersing in water but I guess I was overthinking it, they mean it disperses after you apply it. I used to use a product called nutri-sul that was a powdered sulfur that mixed in water and you had to be careful mixing with it. I thought the Dispersul was something like that. I actually prefer it to be granular because it's easier for me to handle on a day to day basis.