PDA

View Full Version : Pull chord does not return/retract to original position

sippean
04-26-2008, 12:13 AM
6.5 Duraforce flywheel

The pull chord does not retract once pulled. Is it possible to fix? I am an amatuer tinkerer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided.

Regards

jkilov
04-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Probably a broken or rusted recoil spring.

Sure, it can be fixed.

sippean
04-26-2008, 02:58 PM
On this duraforce model, it appears that the entire assembly will have to be replaced. I ordered the part from a local repair center. It appears as though the recoil unit is riveted to the engine in four places. Does anyone have an idea or directions, pictures of how to remove the old assembly and affix the new one?

Many thanks, Bob

jkilov
04-26-2008, 05:46 PM
it appears that the entire assembly will have to be replaced. ... recoil unit is riveted to the engine in four places.

Strange, does the replacement recoil assy. come mounted with a new engine cover ? And do you have to replace the entire assy. every time the rope snaps ?

Are the rivets solid or blind ? The blind ones can be drilled out.

Bill Kapaun
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Some engines require you to drill the rivets and then use small screws & nuts to attach the new recoil.
Don't know how pop rivets would work. Sometimes you need to shift the recoil just right so it lines up. That might be difficult with pop rivets.
Maybe you can "fix" the old recoil when you get it off?

Roger
04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Is this a commerical DuraForce model, or a consumer model? I've changed out the recoil assembly on my commercial model, and I recall that I merely took out four bolts, mounted the new unit, and rescrewed the bolts.

Some pics would help.

sippean
04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I have attached a few pictures. Hopefully they are clear enough to see the rivets that are attached at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Any guidance on how to proceed is much appreciated. I have ordered the entire housing.

Regards, Bob

Roger
04-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Go to:

http://www.lawnboy.com/productinfo/mowers/index.html

In left margin, you will find an option: Parts lookup

After clicking, you will get a page asking for model and s/n of the mower in question.

When I entered your model/serial number, I found a page of assembly drawings and part numbers. Go to "Engine Assembly."

You will find a parts drawing on the right side of the page, with a part number listing on the left. In your case, item #20 is the one of interest. It is part: 95-1868, a shroud-recoil. The recoil assembly is combined with the shroud, which is bolted to hold it in place. The rivets are NOT shown as a part number. The two parts are not intended to be taken apart. If the recoil could be purchased separately, the rivets could be replaced by bolts. But the recoil is not sold as a separate part number.

Let us know if you were able to find your way around the parts diagrams and find the part number. With those diagrams, you can find out all part numbers of items on your mower.