PDA

View Full Version : kawasaki fc15ov problems

philliptoomey
04-26-2008, 02:07 AM
I am a Briggs and Stratton man.

However my neighbor just gave me a snapper mower with a Kawasaki FC15OV engine. My neighbor's father used the machine but put a bulb on the gas line to get the fuel to flow. he moved and gave the machine to my neighbor who took off the bulb. The motor will work if you prime it but it acts as if it is staring for fuel. I do not understand the fuel pump system in the carburetor and what makes the fuel flow. any help is appreciated.

Phillip

normantoomey@yahoo.com

Restrorob
04-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Phillip,

This unit has a gravity feed fuel system from what I can tell without your engine spec numbers.

First check the throttle control adjustments and make sure the choke butterfly is closing FULLY, If it doesn't this could hamper cold and in some cases hot starting.

If the choke is closing FULLY remove the fuel line/hose from the carb and make sure you have ample fuel flow to the carb, There could be a restriction in the fuel tank outlet or fuel cut-off valve if equipped.

If fuel flow is ample there could be a problem with the float sticking preventing the float needle valve from opening fully.

If this is the case Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose and install a new fuel filter if equipped.

Just in case you need it, But you don't have to strip it as far as the picture just enough to get to all the jets and passages;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FC/FC150VCarbBreakdown.jpg

Good Luck

jkilov
04-26-2008, 10:16 AM
my neighbor just gave me ...My neighbor's father ..... he moved ... gave to my neighbor.

I am a bit confused. Just kidding.

I do not understand the fuel pump system in the carburetor and what makes the fuel flow.

There are no fuel pumps in small engines, it's powered by gravity to the carb and by venturi effect onwards.

Clearly fuel isn't reaching the main nozzle in the carburetor. There are many possible reasons for fuel starvation:

Fuel tank and lines:
- check fuel tank venting, if air can't get in, fuel can't get out.
- inspect fuel lines and fuel filter (if equipped) to make sure they're not clogged with dirt

If fuel is reaching the carb, then the carb itself is the problem:
- make sure the idle and high-end mixture screws are adjusted correctly
- look for air leaks on the carb (at throttle lever) and intake gasket

If all above is OK, you'll have to open the carb and have a look inside:
- the needle lever could be bent
- the needle itself could be stuck
- fuel passageways could be clogged with dirt or fuel gum (don't forget to check the bowl bolt)

Either way you will need to clean or rebuild the carb. I found an IPL for this engine on the internet :
http://www.servicecentralen.se/filer_extended/husqvarna/HIPL/HIPL1989/GardenAccessories/HIPL1989_I8900221.pdf
On page 6 there is an exploded chart for the carburetor which could help you greatly.

The old FC150 is a lovely little motor and it would be a shame not to make use of it.

jkilov
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I must be getting slow

Restrorob already posted a reply while I was typing.

Sorry.