PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass prevention with a super wet spring

cod8825
04-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Ok so here is my question in Kansas City MO we have had like 10" of rain in the month of April alone and are up some 7" for the year we just keep getting rain. Since we are a small LCO that is also full service and the amount of landscaping we have we put down are first round of split dimension application between March 15 and March 21 in that round we put down .19 pounds of AI per acre and are going to put down another .19 starting next week. I am tyring to read and find technical reports on how much rain affects the breakdown and dedergation of the dimension barrier. I know that last year was a very wet seaon and we had horrible crabgrass control.

Any thoughts thanks.
Matt

Grandview
04-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I would wait until mid May to do the second application. If I could get all my applications done in a week, I would wait until the first week of April to do the first round and do the second round eight weeks later. I am not sure how moisture affects dimension. I think it is fairly insoluble meaning excess rain would have little affect. Temperatures probably break it down.

TLS
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I was always more concerned with wash away. Especially in bare dirt type areas and around edges, etc.

Never fails, nice even Spring rains NEVER follow my applications. I almost always get the torrential heavy rains. You know....1-2 inches in less than an hour!

Middle of the lawns are OK, as the stand of turf prevents washout movement....but the edges and highly prone thin areas are guaranteed to be washed away.

stressed
04-28-2008, 01:06 PM
we already have breakthru,we did same thing with the split apps and its 2 late ive seen crab comen up.I assume too much rain.

n-green
04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
It's pretty early for crabgrass in your neck of the woods. Are you sure crabs the culprit?

cod8825
04-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Ya maybe they might be seeing it in Georgia and down south but in Illinois and north I think you might have some other plant growing.