PDA

View Full Version : Protective Gear

ultracut518
04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm curious to know what kind of protective equipment you guys are wearing (if any) when spraying broadleaf killers like 3-way or escalade? Thanks

Ric
04-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm curious to know what kind of protective equipment you guys are wearing (if any) when spraying broadleaf killers like 3-way or escalade? Thanks

Ultracuts

Page down to a thread about PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). The label will have the required PPE listed in the top right hand column.

cod8825
04-26-2008, 03:11 PM
None I mix the stuff with afternoon for a drink I think alittle bit of exposure will build the resistence to the stuff.

Just kidding

When I go out here is how I roll I wear cargo pants with a company polo shirt. I have a pair of nice hikking boats that I wear until I get to job site. When I get to the job site I wear rubber boats, neopyrene gloves, bibs and saftey glasses, on windy days I will break out the mask and were it.
When I am done at a job I slip boots, gloves, and bibs off and put them in back. My truck also carries my family so I am extra careful to not carry the chemicals into the truck. Every so often I will go into truck and take ammonia and water and wip the surfaces down espically the ones that kids come into contact with

BocaChris
04-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Ric
Do you recommend and type of chem resistant boots or shoes? I currently dont own a pair and not sure where I could get some around here

LawnTamer
04-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I always wear my ppe, didn't use to:dizzy: Back when I was young and stupid, I always wear long pants, long sleeved shirt, gloves, and running shoes with chem resistant over shoes, and glasses. If a product requires more ppe than that, I typically shy away from that product.

ted putnam
04-27-2008, 12:40 AM
When spraying with tank/hose I wear carhartt pants ,rubber boots with pants legs tucked in and water proof chaps over all this. I wear nitrile(gauntlet)gloves. I should wear long sleeved shirt but don't unless it's cold. It's usually so hot and humid in this area that I wear a short sleeved shirt most of the time. When mixing concentrates(especially liquids) I wear wrap around safety glasses. I feel most of the time my legs and feet have the greatest potential for exposure. That's why I wear the chaps for added protection.One time I saw this guy that worked for a pest control company that sprayed peoples yards for fleas/ticks with a JD9. He said his hair had been falling out in clumps. I looked down at his feet and he was wearing tennis shoes. I asked him if he wore rubber boots. He said " No way, they're way too hot". What an idiot!:hammerhead:

vegomatic40
04-27-2008, 05:09 AM
I give all my guys neoprene boots, gloves and eye-protection. They are required to wear it anytime a application is being made or risk discliplinary action up to, and including possible termination. The long-sleeve shirts they are issued are light and breathable so they wick away moisture/heat rapidly and they seem to like them.
The time when I have the most concern is when concentrates are being handled. Its easy to become forgetfull regarding PPE while filling a truck but is probably the easiest way for guys to get in trouble. I have strict rules regarding PPE while in the fill area, sometimes beyond label requirements but my "biggees" are wearing gloves, boots, aprons and faceshield. I make spot inspections in the afternoons while they are filling for the next day and I also have cameras throughout the shop that I can monitor even while getting my butt chewed by a customer. I do this not because I am so old bastard (which I am) but for the safety of everyone involved.

jrc lawncare
04-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Ultracuts

Page down to a thread about PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). The label will have the required PPE listed in the top right hand column. Ding, ding, we have a winner.

Ric
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Ric
Do you recommend and type of chem resistant boots or shoes? I currently dont own a pair and not sure where I could get some around here

Chris

I don't buy much from Lesco but boots are one thing I buy there. They are 6 inches high and have a steel toe. I put Arch supports in them. I can mail order the same boot at 75% of the price of Lesco. But My feet are important and I want try boot on my feet before committing to them. BTW I wear them all the time, not just when I am spraying. BTW If you go to the Venice JDL-Lesco say hello to Jerry for me. He is a long time Lesco employee and knows his stuff.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Speedo and snorkeling mask.

philk17088
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=ted putnam;2292662]When spraying with tank/hose I wear carhartt pants ,rubber boots with pants legs tucked in and water proof chaps over all this. QUOTE]
Where do you get the chaps? Do you buy the once and dones or do you re-use the same pair?

ted putnam
04-28-2008, 12:12 AM
They are actually waterproof 1,000 denier cordura briar chaps I buy through cabela's. They have leg zippers so they slip over boots easily. I wash them every week or so and hang dry them. They get to be a little hot and I get some funny looks sometimes but they offer more protection and that makes it worth it to me.

Ric
04-28-2008, 12:28 AM

Whoopass

Snorkel Masks get in the way, I just breathe through my ears.

LawnTamer
04-28-2008, 12:31 AM

You jest, but I've seen guys in butt-hugger short shorts with no shirt and flipflops out spraying for hire. There was a guy in Sandy, ran Walkers and did some side fert/spray work, never saw him in anything but cut-offs and flipflops.:dizzy:

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Whoopass

LOL. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-28-2008, 12:38 AM
You jest, but I've seen guys in butt-hugger short shorts with no shirt and flipflops out spraying for hire. There was a guy in Sandy, ran Walkers and did some side fert/spray work, never saw him in anything but cut-offs and flipflops.:dizzy:

Haha. And THAT'S why people think of us folks as "the lawn guy"...

ted putnam
04-28-2008, 12:55 AM

No shirt,Daisy Dukes and flip flops. Sounds kinda...I don't know... GAY!:laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-28-2008, 12:57 AM
No shirt,Daisy Dukes and flip flops. Sounds kinda...I don't know... GAY!:laugh:

Nah. Prob'ly jest anudder gud owld boy who neve got past de eighties...

...and its drugs...

greendoctor
04-28-2008, 05:50 AM

Then I guess some of the scrubs and unlicensed applicators I see in town are really not that bad. Most of them are wearing leather construction boots, some are in board shorts, no shirt working on their tan and showing off their muscles. Even the big companies have their guys working in T shirts. As for myself, my skin does not like the sun, seeing me topless would cause violent nausea and I do not want any of what I am spraying landing on bare skin or contaminating my shoes to poison me over the next year. I work in a buttondown longsleeve shirt, long pants, rubber boots, nitrile gloves that go up to the elbow. If I am spraying trees and shrubs, I also have a full face shield and respirator. Because the DOA knows I am not handling chemicals shirtless or in a T shirt, they have no problems with me and do not feel the need to scrutinize me. For every pesticide I know of registered for residential turf, long pants and long sleeves are label mandated PPE.

philk17088
04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Whoopass

And you honey probably loves you for it!

Ric
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
And you honey probably loves you for it!

Filbert is that you???

Yes when in Bush Country (Republican Land) I try to please. BTW I really enjoy the circus your political party is putting on.