PDA

View Full Version : Tree Spray mix?

humble1
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
SO I have a pine weevil. Can I mix merit systemic and cyfluthrin for a spray, I ask because the merit takes a while to get in, the cyfluthrin would knockdown anything on the outside w/ some residual?
I know you can inject merit or surface saturate, i thought you could spray it also, I could be wrong

PHS
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Merit can be used as a systemic treatment (high concentration) or as a foliar treatment (low concentration) but the foliar treatment doesn't provide systemic control. The only way to get Merit to act systemically is to treat by injection or drench. So you can do the injection (or drench) and then spray the tree with Cyfluthrin or the low foliar rate Merit seperately (assuming both of those are labeled to control Pine Weevil, I don't have any experience with them).

heritage
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
White Pine Weevils have been emerging this week in Adams, Schuylkill and York Counties. In Schuylkill County, this emergence began at 12 growing degree days. Also, feeding damage from the weevils has been observed in Adams and Schuylkill Counties on white pine, Colorado blue spruce and Serbian spruce. This damaged can be spotted by scouting for sap bubbles visible on the terminals. (Fig. 2) No eggs were found in the terminals where feeding damage was observed. If growers have had a problem with white pine weevil in previous seasons and they have begun to see weevils in traps or tree terminals, they may want to consider spraying the upper third of susceptible trees with an appropriate insecticide within a week to 10 days of weevil emergence. It is possible that only one to two sprays will be necessary to achieve control.

In a Nursery spray top 3 feet of tree with Dursban @ Label Rate, (Not Residential) when the adults become active. You have about a 10 day window.

Monitor again in june, and cut out any "Shepard's Crook" below where larvae are inside. Burn or To the trash bag with infected leaders. If you wait till july, the larvae will exit and remain in duff under tree, become adults that overwinter and the "Cycle" continues.

I injected some spruce 5 years ago infected with galls AND WPW @ the high rate (1.6 oz Merit WSP, in 12 gal H2O, 1/2 gal per inch dia) and still had WPW the following year.

I saw Weevil here in NJ (north/central) 2 weeks ago. Since you are colder in Ma, you may still be on time now.

If it's a landscape setting, and you cannot use Dursban, you can use Permerthrin Pro OR Onyx.......See a Label.

Pete