PDA

View Full Version : Patchy lawns

bj22
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Anybody having problems with dead areas of turf when every thing looked fine last year. Almost looks like grub damage but it is very patchy dead spots not whole areas. I am baffled? NE zone

philk17088
04-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I posted here aboutthis a few weeks ago. I e-mailed Dr Landschoot at PennState. His theory is that the lawns were drought damged going into fall and stressed out over the winter and died off. Here in cntral PA we had zero snow cover and a lot of freezing and thawing thru the winter.

bj22
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your reply. I attributed to the same thing but try to explain that to a customer is almost painful. I thought lack of snow cover for insulation and snow melt for deep soil watering in spring. If i remember wasnt last year very dry going into the fall and above seasonable temps right into nov. Just weird, thought grass would go dormant only and shoot back out in the spring.Do you have ant literature in writing for distribution to a customer so they can hear it from a expert. tia

philk17088
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't have any printed info.I think this caught everybody by surprise.

humble1
04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Anybody having problems with dead areas of turf when every thing looked fine last year. Almost looks like grub damage but it is very patchy dead spots not whole areas. I am baffled? NE zone

we have a lot of snow mold, not sure if you had snow cover all winter like we did?

tremor
04-30-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm seeing patches of dead bentgrass especially in shaded areas that were already shallow rooted before leaf cleanups. The landscapers often ripped sections of turf while raking. Tree competiton lends validity to the drought stress theory of Dr Landschoot's. No signs of snow mold in Westchester, Co, NY.