PDA

View Full Version : Liquid vs Granular

mowerbrad
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I currently don't do any applications yet but would like to start within 1-3 years. I have noticed that some applicators in my area have both granular fertilizers and liquid fertilizers in their trucks. What are the benefits of using one over the other? And when I do start doing applicating what should I start with, liquid, granular or both?? Thanks for your help.

cod8825
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM
There are so many things to say most don't know where to start. Talk to local extension, lesco, helena, or other distributors about products and knowledge. Search here on the site and you will get a ton of info.

Most here do a combo of both my setup is three granular apps two liquids.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I currently don't do any applications yet but would like to start within 1-3 years. I have noticed that some applicators in my area have both granular fertilizers and liquid fertilizers in their trucks. What are the benefits of using one over the other? And when I do start doing applicating what should I start with, liquid, granular or both?? Thanks for your help.

Liquid Pros:
- Easy to apply multiple chemicals in one pass. (FAST)
- Can apply products that don't have to wait to be watered in for effectiveness.
- Many liquid chems are cheaper.
- Concoct your own blend of fertilizer.
- Somewhat dummy-proof for employees.

Liquid Cons:
- Equipment maintenance can be high - pumps, diaphragms.
- Equipment costs high.
- More subject to wind.
- More likely to splash and stain the house, fence, etc.
- Much higher potential for going home filthy and covered in chems.
- Have to mix the tank.

Granular Pros:
- Clean.
- Easy.
- Low cost to apply (equipment-wise)- unless you get a ride on...
- Less subject to wind/weather.
- Slow release.

Granular Cons:
- Generally more expensive, unless you have immense buying power.
- Ineffective until watered (troublesome in a dry spring).

I'm sure there are others, but this is what comes to mind. I do both, by the way...