PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Exmark Lazer Deck

Snyderserv5060
04-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I picked up a 05/06 60" Exmark Lazer within the last week. I was aware it needed some work which I was ready to take on and price wise it was fair enough. The only problem that I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with is the deck adjustment is frozen/tight. You have to pull up and use the foot assist really hard to get it out of the top position... then when you want to drop it below 4" you have to put some weight down on the deck itself to get it to drop. I am sure it sat outside and NEEDS grease. Should I take it all off or what components would be causing this hangup?

Thanks for your input.

Jason Pallas
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Take off and clean then grease the bushings at the foot pedal adjustment - also do the same for all other deck pivot points - you should be fine then. Good luck.

Snyderserv5060
04-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Makes sense... I just need to find a day I can tear it apart since ive been cutting with it so often.

Breezmister
04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Should I take it all off or what components would be causing this hangup?
Thanks for your input.

Jason has the right idea there, grease the pivot points on the front of the frame where the foot lift is and on the other side as well as the one at the lift handle and the other side too. Make sure that grease is going in, you may have to work the pivots to free them up. More then likely, it will be the two pivot points in the front that are hanging you up. If you can not get grease to go into these fittings, then you will have to take it apart.
Let us know how you make out. Good Luck.

Snyderserv5060
04-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I am hoping to avoid taking the deck mounts apart but yes i agree that I need to make sure the grease gets completely in there. If I need to I will. I just need to work out a few small issues with it and it should be a decent machine. Thanks for the input

pugs
04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Just did this on a fairly new Toro. A few of the pivots took some serious heat and pulling to get them out. It had never been greased before I am guessing...and its right around 2 years old.

Do it ASAP because if its like the Toro those pivot points are part of the front frame. So if it gets messed up completely you would have to replace the frame.

flykelley
04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I only have two words for you.FLUID FILM

Regards Mike

Snyderserv5060
05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Okay so Ive spent the last few hours working on this problem! I found the frozen joint to be the one with the foot assist, all the others move freely. I can NOT get grease to go in either.

2 people using large pry bars, lightly hammering the other side (so it does not flare out and no longer fit back through)... Nothing

Heated it up with 2 torches... and still nothing

I have no idea how the h*ll I am going to get this apart so I can grease it up because at this point its not functional. I do not see it being worth a ton of money to replace the front section of the frame as this joint assembly is welded to the frame and all.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks

mcambrose
05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
i have had this type of problem on my Walker deck pivot arms. I removed the grease fitting and used a pick to scrape out old grease. I replaced with new fitting and it worked. Maybe it would work for you. I haven't seen your setup, so I may be way off base.

Breezmister
05-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Now the fun begins. You can do it like they do it at a Exmark dealer, cut the foot lift off as close as you can near where it goes into the support and beat the remaining part of the shaft out with a really big hammer/sledge and a large punch/rod. It will take two people.

That is the quick way. It will still take some time, even with you soaking it with PB Blaster every few minutes.

Over the winter, I had to do both sides and I had time on my side. What I did was remove the grease fittings, clean the hole, shoot a little bit of PB Blaster on the hole. Remove the snap rings at the end of the shaft, spray each end. Let it soak in for a few minutes, repeat. Get a long pipe about 4 or 5 foot long that will fit over the end where the chain connects. Try to move the foot rest alittle bit at a time, spray with PB Blaster, hit the end on the inside with a BFH and a large pin punch/brass rod. You need to set up a vibration to help the PB Blaster to work it's way in. Spray again, crank with the pipe back and forth, spray it, hit it, spray it.

For me, the one side came free in about an hour, while the foot lift side took the better part of 4 hours. If you have some one to help. crank the pipe while some one hits it. Large pin punch or a big brass punch, wack it !
The goal is not to remove it, but to get the PB Blaster to lube the shaft up so that it will more freely. You can rotate the foot rest as far as you can, back and forth.

Once it starts to move freely, reinstall the grease fitting and grease, the grease will follow the PB Blaster, crank with the pipe until you feel it is getting grease all around.

Because you have heated it up, it might twist off and break when you use the pipe so becareful at the start. Let the PB Blaster work.
If you have the time, soak it over a few days.
Take your time, don't let the machine beat you, good luck.

kayeproperties
05-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I had the exact same problem on a 52 Z that I got used. I tried all the same ideas as the rest but what made the difference was the pb blaster just soaking in over time. I would still use the machine but spray a little in it daily into the grease fitting hole and at both sides of the pivot shaft. it eventually started to move normal and after a few more weeks of use I could eventually get grease to go in to it. I never could get the shaft removed but as long as I can get grease in it and it moves fine im good to go. I think Breezemister hit it exactly on the head! Good luck it will come loose!

Snyderserv5060
05-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Thank you for all your help and input!... Many hours later and LOTS of force, hammering, prying, a bottle of PB's and it came out. This required 2 people, no question about it.

I ordered another assembly as this one was soo caked up with old/bad grease and rust I am not going to mess around with it anymore. Now I need to locate a wire brush to fit in there so I can clean it all out really well and start fresh. I do not neglect greasing my mowers, just got this one recently and clearly they did!
Remember to grease this area up well and often... you do not want to go through this long process, trust me.

Breezmister
05-10-2008, 12:30 PM
. Now I need to locate a wire brush to fit in there so I can clean it all out really well and start fresh.

I'm glad you got it off :drinkup:
They do make spiral brushes that you can put on a drill. most auto parts stores will have them for cleaning carbon off of heads.

Oh, don't forget to grease the push rods under the back of the machine that help to keep the deck in place, you don't want to work on them with out a lift :laugh: