PDA

View Full Version : Black plastic things from Home Depot!

Craig Turf Management
12-09-2001, 05:14 AM
When raking leaves into plastic bags, it's always been a pain in the butt to hold the bag open and fill it with just two hands. For the past two years, I've been using a product that I want to turn you on to. It's a piece of plastic about 2.5 feet wide x about 4 feet long. It has two handholds cut into the top ( if you insert correctly). The idea is you roll this thing up and place it inside a 55 gallon leaf bag, and it holds the bag open as well as erect. Frees my hands to stuff the bag full of leaves. The hand holds in the top (if inserted correctly) facilitates the removal of the device. This is a real time saver, and I don't cuss nearly as much on the rare occasion that I have to bag leaves. My helper and me can make short work of a big stack of leaves using this thing. Costs around five bucks.
Bill Craig!

MOW ED
12-09-2001, 07:57 AM
I'm glad you found something that helps you out in the field.

I'm not gettin on ya but I just can't for life of me ever, ever seeing myself bag anything but my household trash into a plastic bag. Did you ever consider the options?

Craig Turf Management
12-09-2001, 08:44 AM
MOW ED,

If you read my post, you will see that I said "on the rare occasion that I bag leaves". Most of oir leaves are tarped or plowed to the curb, and I have a guy who will come out and vac. them up for me. It's cheaper for me to have this guy suck up several piles in the same general vicinity. If I have a lawn that isn't cost effective to have this guy take care of for me, we bag. I get payed for every minute that I work, so I don't mind bagging a leaf every now and again. I won't bag grass though.

Bill Craig!

JJ Lawn
12-09-2001, 11:14 AM
I use a 55 gal plastic drum.

Take a skil saw and cut about 5-6 inches off the bottom of the plastic drum. Need to cut off where it tapers. Cut top out with a jig saw (leave rim) file rough edges.(rounded wood rasp works great) Put 55 gal drum liner in, fill with leaves and just slide off when full.

You can pack a lot of leaves into the bags. They will stay firm and stack real easy if need be.

$.00 cost if you have access to the drums. And will last for years.

Jim

1grnlwn
12-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Landscape supply sells these lawn bags they are about 4ftx4ftx3ft. They hold a lot of material. We use them for leaves, sticks, all clean-up materials. Made of tough material. One thing I found that works great is a huge aluminum grain scoop, for shoveling chopped leaves. Works good on full leaves to with rake on top. If thats your bag. Pun intended. ;)

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-09-2001, 07:02 PM
We dont bag leaves at all ,, But if you need to for somereason it needs to be in a paper , or recylable bag of somesort.. not plastic, the towns wont take it like that .... They usually just come and get it with a loader or a vac as long as you get it to the curb on or befoer their last pickup date... The benefits of HI taxes.. LOL

Craig Turf Management
12-10-2001, 05:19 AM
SCAPEASAURESREX

Here in Charlotte, we can bag leaves in plastic, but they must be in clear bags. They are then hauled away to a place called Compost Central, where they are recycled an sold back to the public.
Bill Craig!