PDA

View Full Version : California Pesticide Application Study Material

Portmax29
04-28-2008, 07:00 AM
I am new to the pesticide and fertilizing part of the business. I would like to get my license so i can apply the fertilizer myself and not have to worry about getting another company out to do it for me. I would like to register for the test/license in a couple months. To be sure I pass, I am going to request study material. Has anyone took the test here in California and would be willing to help me with the right study material? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I want to make sure that I get the right materials. I am hoping that someone here with the California License can chime in and give me more details about the test, best place for study materials, and such.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

PHS
04-28-2008, 07:29 AM
It's been awhile since I took it but in typical CA fashion they seemed way more concerned about the laws and regulations and could care less if you actually know how to do anything out in the field. In other words the difficulty of the test is heavily biased towards L & R's. If I remember right, I think all of the necessary information to pass was in the study guide that I got from the state. How's business in the valley with all of the housing market troubles?

Portmax29
04-28-2008, 07:40 AM
OK, thanks PHS. I was told it was pretty hard. If you don't mind me asking did you apply for the QAC or the QAL? Which one would be the best for me? I just want to be able to spray for weeds when needed and apply fertilizer to my customers properties when needed. I am a small company but I just want to do everything legal.

thanks

PHS
04-28-2008, 07:58 AM
I took the QAL when I was a tech because I knew I was going to supervising other applicators later on. If you're solo owner/operator I don't remember if you can get away with just having a QAC or not but I would recommend to just take the QAL if you're going to do it. It gives you more flexibility down the road if you want it.

Ric
04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Portmax

I just left a message on a Former College professors cell phone voice mail with a question. He is a PhD entomologist and has a Calf CPO as well as other states. He told us Calf. is one of the hardest tests in the nation. A lot of Tree Hugger Green Law. His full time job is with Davey Trees and he covers a large area.

Portmax29
04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks Ric. Yeah thats what i keep hearing and don't like to hear. Now the question is, where can i get good study material or is there a class i can take? I really didn't want to buy all those books if i didn't really have too.

Ric
04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks Ric. Yeah thats what i keep hearing and don't like to hear. Now the question is, where can i get good study material or is there a class i can take? I really didn't want to buy all those books if i didn't really have too.

Portmax

Sorry I can't help you with that. But try calling the State Ag Dept that licenses Fert & Squirt. There may be Requirement for sitting for the test like Florida.

PHS
04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Port,

I downloaded a copy of the laws and regs study guide from the DPR website (used the company's printer), was about 150 pages or so and that's all I needed if I remember right.

The laws and regs may be one of the toughest in the nation but the turf and ornamental test was a piece o' cake. The T&O test here in LA was harder than CA I thought but the L & R test is a joke here.

Portmax29
04-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys for all the help.