PDA

View Full Version : Safety Switch or Coil?

blamefoot
04-28-2008, 08:24 AM
On a 20 horse Kohler on a Dixie Chopper, when the safety switch causes the engine to momentarily cut off from a bump or bringing the levers in with the brake on,the right hand cylinder spark cuts way back. If I pull the plug wire with the engine running it runs worse, so it has some spark. When this happens, if you bounce up and down on the seat it will clear up. Or if you pull the right plug wire off and put it back on, it will clear up. What could be the problem? Is it the coil, or a safety switch?

action13
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Sounds like a slow reacting switch. If the coil was bad nothing you mentioned would fix it. Too much a coincidence that the coil would cause a problem when hitting a bump. Could be the switch is too sensitive as if it feels even a slight decrease of seat pressure it starts to cut the engine out by cutting the spark out, then goes back to a run position and having no spark for a split second loads the cylinder with gas, and it needs a second to burn it out again. I would highly doubt coil problems. Perhaps by-passing the switch for testing purposes then see if it continues. .....Tom The Mower Shop

rjxj
04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I dont know what system they use but some have a time delay module so that bouncing off the seat gives a half second before it cuts the ignition. Could be a problem in that system if they have it. A wiring schematic and then a process of elimination.