PDA

View Full Version : Kohler command fuel issue

tjcezar
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a Kohler Command model #CV730s. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel. How can I check if the fuel pump is bad? Also my fuel shut off solenoid looked a little chewed up so I put one on from an old engine and now the fuel just flows out of the carb and drips all over. Could that solenoid be bad (the one from the old engine) and the original one good? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Grass Roots power
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
To check the fuel pump, remove the fuel hose going to the carb turn the engine over. If it pumps fuel out as the engine is turning over its good. But if you put an old solenoid on it and it pours fuel out, then the pump must be working. You need to take the solenoid off make sure the wires are attached, turn the ignition on and touch the threads of solenoid to a good ground, the little plunger should go down when grounded and pop back up when not grounded. Hope this helps.

tjcezar
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
OK now if i hold my hand over the carbrator and close off the opening I can keep it running but as soon as i remove my hand it runs a little bit and shuts off????????????????

briggs33
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
then its not getting enough fuel

tjcezar
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
fuel is coming through the pump. what could be causing this???

rjxj
04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
You say fuel is just running out? Did you get the seal ring back on the fuel solenoid? If you want to sacrifice one of the funky looking solenoids you can cut the needle/pintle off. You lose the anti diesel effect of the solenoid valve but it will run. Do you have another fuel tank that you can connect to the carb and hold up high? It should run with a gravity feed. If it still has to be choked to keep it running it could be crud in the inlet and needle, crud in the bowl/jets, etc.

tjcezar
04-28-2008, 10:34 PM
yeah I know this something simple. The thing is we cleaned the carb blew out the lines put on a new filter changed fuel pump and it still does it. It does not leak from the solenoid as we fixed that.

Grass Roots power
04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Did the solenoid work? If it is only running with the choke on then there is some blockage in the carb. Did you say that you cleaned it out ? If you did you will need to take it back off and check to see if there is any trash in the carb you missed, and check your gaskets. I have had several people around here that has gotten bad gas with alot of water and trash in it .

tjcezar
04-29-2008, 08:11 AM
yeah it has to be in the carb. im gonna pull apart again.

VegetiveSteam
04-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Does it have an accelerator pump on the carb? A fuel solenoid won't have an effect of fuel flowing out of the carb. All the fuel solenoid does is shut off the high speed circuit of the carb. If fuel is flowing out of the carb while the engine is off check the float needle and seat. If it only happens while the engine is running and it does have an accelerator pump on the carb pinch off the vacuum line going to the accelerator pump housing. If the overflowing fuel stops you need a new pump diaphragm