PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Hard To Start

LushGreenLawn
04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Hello,

I have a John Deere 717a with a 19HP Kawasaki on it. It seems to be hard to start sometimes. Not only when its cold, but during the day when it has just been ran. I has just turned 250 hours.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I understand the basic principles of an engine. Do you think the valves need to be adjusted? This is the first thing that comes to mind for me. If not, any other idea before I take it to have it looked at.

rjxj
04-28-2008, 09:30 PM
It shouldnt need the choke when hot but check it first. Operate the choke and look at the mechanism its moving under the carb. Get an idea of whats happening in there as the choke closes. Have somone operate the choke while you watch it. It may not be going on all the way. The valve adjustment interval is 300 hours so you're about ready. As the gaps widens it has an effect on the compression release and puts more load on the starter. If the clearance became too wide it wouldnt have compression release. I cant find it right now, but I think the compression relief lifts the valve .010. So, at about .015 valve clearance you have lost the compression release effect. Set them .003 to .005. I try to stay at .003 to .004. Look under Kaw engine top end in the link below. The procedure is in there. See what happens. Be sure the idle is at about 1700. If it has a poor idle it may need the bowl and carb blown out. Before you work on it or take it to the dealer use an air nozzle and give her a good blow job. The air gun with the skinny steel tube works well. Get in all the nooks and openings you can. Around the spark plug, etc. You want it clean when you start opening things up.

http://www.eaglefloorsolutions.com/manuals.asp