PDA

View Full Version : Mower cutting in strips - random patchyness

gavia111
04-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I've got a 1980 Ford yt16 with original deck that is randomly missing stips of grass as I mow. I can't determine if its a result of thicker grass, mower speed, etc. Seems to happen whether I mow in 2 or 3 gear and be independent of grass height, mower deck height, etc.

The deck is a 42" and consists of 3 blades. All spin forward freely. Seems like there is something that stops the one or two of the blades from spinning which is causing the patchy results. Also, I can spin the blades backward freely by hand.

Any suggestions, could it be a tensioner or the bearing assembly?

I have sharp blades and a new drive belt.

thanks.

rjxj
04-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Be sure all the belts are tight. The idler pivots are good for freezing up and then the belt wont have steady tension on it. Be sure the blades are sharp and not rounded at the outer edge. The tip is the first thing to come in contact with the grass. Most of the cutting is done at the tip. Be sure the deck is level from side to side and tilted down slightly in the front. 1/8 in or so low in the front.

frustrated
04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
While you're at it, I've had some odd experiences coming from my guys when their blades were sharpened in a manner that left a wavy edge, and not a nice straight and sharp edge.

By keeping your edge nice and straight across the cutting portion, and the pitch consistent, you get a blade that cuts better and stays sharper longer.

Chris "Greenville"
04-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Also, check your tire pressure. If a tire is low on one side your deck will tip up and cause grass strips and uneven cut. Just my thoughts, Chris :waving:

topsites
04-30-2008, 02:06 AM
I would check the blades are not bent, also LOL make sure one isn't upside down.