PDA

View Full Version : Who has had both a 25 and 26 EFI Kohler?

Albemarle Lawn
12-09-2001, 04:09 PM
Is it really more power?
Better fuel consumption?
Better starting?

Do these have a choke or will they start and run at "turtle" like a fuel-injected automobile?

Ken

landscaper3
12-09-2001, 06:21 PM
We run Walkers with the 25hp and 26EFI along with the Zmasters. The 26EFI is more like 30hp then 26 its got more torque and better fuel economy then our carbed 25's

JJ Lawn
12-09-2001, 07:10 PM
I have Walkers with both the 25hp and the 26hp EFI engines. The 25 hp is a 1996 model and the 26 hp is a 2001. There is a noticeable difference in the performance between the two. The 26hp has more power. In fact I bought a speed-up kit for it when I got it. Have not put it on yet. Doesn't seem to need it .

The 26hp most definitely uses less fuel. About a third less than the 25hp. I was real surprised and pleased with this.

As far as starting, I have not noticed any difference. But with cold weather coming, who knows. They say that the 26hp is easier to start. And there is no choke.

Jim

LAWNGODFATHER
12-09-2001, 07:54 PM
It's a fuel injected engine. No choke

Big diff in responce times, for engine catching up to load.

Hp diff to, rated at 26 but actualy it's 28 hp.

Better engine, but my 25 hp will keep up with it.

It uses less fuel too....

southside
12-10-2001, 07:17 AM
I own a 26hp and have demoed a 25hp for the day. Both the same age. The 26 was by far the better performer. More torque
and used a lot less fuel.

MOW ED
12-10-2001, 09:25 AM
I had the 25 from hell which was a P.O.S. and I currently have the 26 EFI and I would definately buy a 26 again. I won't look at anything with a 25 hp.

The 26 as has been said has greater power, response time, cold or hot starts and fuel economy. The filter system on my 25 still used a paper and foam setup from Kohler. The 26 has the Donaldson system whic is the best I've seen.

I admit that the Kohler 25 was one of the troubled engines from the factory but I had nothing to do with any of those problems and it even took alot of convincing for me to give Kohler a second chance but the 26 is good.

If you get a 26 make sure that the fuel pump problem has been updated. Other than that it has been problem free for about 500 hours.

JJ Lawn
12-10-2001, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MOW ED
If you get a 26 make sure that the fuel pump problem has been updated. Other than that it has been problem free for about 500 hours.

A little more info on this please. I have not read or heard of any problem with the fuel pump.

Jim

MOW ED
12-10-2001, 10:36 AM
The original Kohler 26EFI's (late 99-2000 models) had a fuel filter mesh that was too restrictive therefore the result was a burned out fuel pump.

The link will also enlighten you on some of Kohlers changes, this gent knows his stuff when it comes to Kohler I am sure if you have specific questions he would help;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=22389&highlight=bulletins

Good Luck

Rodney Johns
12-10-2001, 11:38 AM
The 26 EFI is hands down a better engine. More power, torque, and better performance.

25 Kohler Aegis might fill some voids. The idea is this new 25 Aegis engine will have the longer life of a deisel engine. Somewhere in the 3500 hr range. If it lives up to what is promised I might look at the 25's again.

Otherwise only 26's for me.

WREBELMACHINE
12-10-2001, 12:30 PM
I currently run several 25hp kohlers and I have run a efi and liked it very well!

Has anyone tested or tried the new 27hp kohler?

muxx
12-10-2001, 04:00 PM
I have had both engines on the Exmark. I would stay with the 25 for sure. the 26 uses 10 gallons compared to the 25 at 7.5. The 26 in my opinion is a junk engine that they have had a lot of problems with. Mine blew up with 300 hours on it. It had no more power than the 25 and the 25 went right thru tall grass where the 26 struggled. You can also check out the used equip on the exmark site, there are a couple of 26's that are for sale, because of the same reason. Not worth the extra money. If you want the bargain in longevity, go with the deisel. My Opinion and the only thing I have ran is exmark and kolhers.

muxx
12-10-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by WREBELMACHINE
I currently run several 25hp kohlers and I have run a efi and liked it very well!

Has anyone tested or tried the new 27hp kohler?

I have 2 of the 27 kohler desiels. Excellent engine so far only had both 1 year. They have around 500 hours each and no problems yet knock on wood.

Runner
12-10-2001, 05:17 PM
I have NEVER heard of anyone havung trouble like this with the 26EFI. I HAVE however, heard of several people who like it to the fullest! If you had a EFI motor that didn't do as well as your 25 in power, then you had a fluke motor with problems. If you had a EFI motor that didn't do as well on fuel economy as your 25, then you had a fluke motor with problems. If you had a EFI motor that "blew up" with 300 hours on it, then you had a fluke motor with problems. As far as a "junk motor that "THEY" have had alot of problems with", who is "THEY"? Because it isn't Kohler! They have had EXCELLENT success with this unit, and will continue to have. If you know of alot of problems, SHOW me. The proof is in the pudding, not the words.
Incidentally, all this motor is, is the 25 with a EFI unit on it. It's the same exact motor.

scottt
12-10-2001, 05:37 PM
muxx,
Can you tell us exactly what problems you had with this motor and have you ever personally met anyone with the same problems? I am looking for a new ztr and am thinking about this motor. You are the first person I have heard that didn't love theirs.

MOW ED
12-10-2001, 05:43 PM
Incidentally, all this motor is, is the 25 with a EFI unit on it. It's the same exact motor.

Runner, it is the same but different. The cc's are the same but Kohler had much trouble with many aspects of the 97-98 year series of the 25hp. Cylinder wall thickness and material composition is different. Head gasket design is different. The new 26's have moved the coils up to keep them cool, I would bet the new 25's do that too but I don't know for sure. I am no mechanic but I know the old 25's had some good and some bad. Some guys loved them and some didn't. I am the latter. I have the experience to go behind my dislike of that motor.

The new 25's probably have all the modifications but its like a Yugo in my mind, disposable. So I personally won't consider one again. The 26 as you said - I like it "to the fullest".

muxx
12-10-2001, 09:33 PM
To show you actual proof on my behalf would be difficult on computer. I know what I had. A snapped crank after 300 hours, fixed that supposedly then it had as much power as a 22 hp. The 25 would run circles around it. then computer went out. If you go to "Exmarks" home page you will find one or two more that have had similar problems that they are trying to sell. One with 800 hours on it and it has had engine problems. There is your proof. I think they have had alot of problems, that they didn't anticipate. I would think they would have or will work them out. I am not bad mouthing kohler, because that is all I have ever ran and love them. I can only tell you what I had. I ran the 26 out of fuel on both sides and still had half a tank on one side with 25. Of course never ran it completely dry, not smart. I have had 25 with well over 2800 hrs on them with no trouble what so ever.

Jman
12-10-2001, 10:28 PM
There is a lot of simularities between the base engine of the CH25 and the CH26. The fuel injection allows the engine to run cooler and produce more power. Muxx, if there was a power problem after the initial repair, there were things that could have been done to cure that problem. Another thing that caught my eye was the message about the Kohler diesel 27. Kohler does not have a diesel that I am aware. Back to EFI. The coils are mounted externally because they don't have to be charged by the magnet on the flywheel as the 25 do. I don't hear as much problems on the 25 ignition system as I used to. Most of the original 25 problems have seem to finally be behind Kohler.

muxx
12-10-2001, 10:56 PM
Sorry Jman your right, it's the Diahatsu 27. I am just used to running Exmark (what else is there? ha). All the usually ran was kohler.

Runner
12-11-2001, 03:26 PM
Yeah, what I was meaning by the same motor, is that it's the same block. The cc's, valves, bore, stroke,and compression ratios are all the same.