PDA

View Full Version : Price Check please!!

Clapper&Company
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I had a lady call a few weeks ago and she wanted RR tie flower bed replaced it was 20 yrs old...

I told her $250.00 she said ok

Last week we did the work and billed her.

She called today wanting to know if the RR ties cost $10-12.00 Each
Why it cost $250.00 to do her job.

We used 6 RR ties
and Had 2 guys 2 hrs on the job site.
+ the hour round trip it took them to go pick up the RR ties.
I also had to take them away to my dump.

Was my Price out of line?

coif_kid
04-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Firstly, you don't really owe her any explaination. Do you go to a store and ask them why it cost this much especially after you agreed to the price.

If you're ok with the price, why it was that price doesn't matter.

That said, I think your a little on the cheap side personally. Just my 2 cents though. (6 man hours @ $180 for labour and the wear and tear of the truck and gas + disposal fee). Now that I think about it way too cheap. Did you make any money on it at all?

Clapper&Company
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes I made ok money

The going rate here is $30 per man hour.

I also think I was kinda low should of been about $300 but owell

LushGreenLawn
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I am thinking you were on the cheap side. If I thought ot would take 2 guys 2 hours, plus an hour of drivetime picking up railriad ties. I would have billed $300 for the labor + hour of drivetime, plus the cost of the ties and a disposal fee.

hole in one lco
04-28-2008, 09:03 PM
i think she has know room 2 bich about that bill

Clapper&Company
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Kash kinda what I was thinking

JAX76CJ
04-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I concur.
.....$250 is too low ;
Just Kidding, My Labor is $30 per man as well. Your quote was right on Par. $180 Labor, $70 in Materials, and $20 Disposal fee. Sounds about right to me..... I guess she did get a Bargin.

Clapper&Company
04-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I concur.
.....$250 is too low ;
Just Kidding, My Labor is $30 per man as well. Your quote was right on Par. $180 Labor, $70 in Materials, and $20 Disposal fee. Sounds about right to me..... I guess she did get a Bargin.
LOL Chris

Thanks for agreeing with me.. I was about 90% sure I was on track today but just wanted to make sure

Lawnworks
04-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I would confront her about knowing the price before hand. She agreed to the price. She needs to pay to the agreed price. If she is not a regular customer I might even mention "shorting me on he agreed price." That would really really irritate me.

CLARK LAWN
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
ive had that a few times people think that all that money is going in your pocket and it should take you longer to earn it than it takes them. i just did a lawn repair total price was 350 dollars had a signed agreement took about 2 to 2.5 hours with me and one other guy. we got going and the guy comes out and says to let him know when it will be done and he'll go to the bank and get the money so i told him to get going because we should be done in a little over an hour and he starts about how there is no way he is paying that much for a couple of hours of work and that that is all he makes in a week. i explained to him that the agreement stated less that 1/2 for completion and either he can pay now or we can go to court and he can lose a day of work and pay then. got my cash about 45 minutes later.

Clapper&Company
04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
LOL sweet so u took 1/2 up front?

Isobel
04-29-2008, 01:25 AM
I personally would have bid the job higher, but that's not really the case. The client agreed to the price beforehand, the job was done to your specs, she really doesn't have anything to complain about.

TXNSLighting
04-29-2008, 09:50 AM
i would never work for 30 an hour... that sucks

LushGreenLawn
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, did she find out how much the matierial costs from your invoice? If so, I would not reccommend breaking everything down on your invoice. My customer would have gotten an invoice with a line item that said something like: 01/01/08 - Replace Flower Bed $250

I only bill for the final cost in one lump some, I don't break down every little piece. This way, they can't question the cost of your materials.

stevelsc1
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
This is going to be the way of the business world when you are in the service business. You have every manufacturer selling their wears at Home depot. So the client knows what it costs. Homeowner could have put the ties in the BMW and carried them to the job. Then installed them, not. Out here the Nursries now go to builders shows and give away their wholesale books to builders we work for, so now we are asked how much fro labor to install them? The economy is going to s-----t, its fuel prices, they want it now to go to $ 8.00 a gallon like the rest of the world. I'm a design contractor and it's dead.

BillyRgn
04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
sounds about right to me, for r-r tie work i price it at $45.00 per timber plus other materials if i need them, (top soil, gravel, and timberlock screws).

FLAhaulboy
04-30-2008, 12:25 AM
I had a moving company in NY call me yesterday wanting me to meet up w/one of their moving vans in my Florida area. I said, Sure be happy to...I charge $60.00 per hr...He was quite upset and wanted me pay me far less. I told him I realised he just needed another person (helper) to unload, But that I was running a business and my regular rate for that type of work locally, Was $60 per hr. He didnt hire me and I'm fine with that.

Clapper&Company
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
She called around to the lumber yard.

$30 ish a hour is going rate here

Lawnworks
04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
i would never work for 30 an hour... that sucks

What do you get per hour and how many employees do you have?