PDA

View Full Version : start stump grinding

JTS Landscaping lawn
04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
i havent really seen to many people around my area stump grinding couple really bigger companies thats it. i have one im going to look at tomorrow hopefully will beable to get more later on what not. would one them like walk behind ones work good just for starting out until can get going a little bit like the blue bird one what not. ill have to rent one them tow behind or something if get bigger jobs or stumps. also how big of stumps would those work good up to. thanks

Jb3NH
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
The small ones i've used get the job done, but take a long long time. Try out one of the Big ones and you'll see what i mean. If your dead set on buying one, buy the biggest you can afford.

Isobel
04-29-2008, 06:20 PM
wow, I really read that title as "start humpin and grindin'"

I think i need a break... lol!

JNyz
04-29-2008, 06:44 PM
I do some subcontracting with my stump grinder. Get a rayco rg super 50 and get working. Just finance it and advertise, you will wish you started years ago. We charge 100.00/hr port to port. Which means all drive time. To and from even if we have a job on the way. You will be able to grind a 36 inch oak in less then 15 min and that includes unloading the machine. Just advertise, advertise, advertise, advertise.

DoetschOutdoor
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I've probably ground about 30 stumps in the past few years so not too much but enough and I've always rented the machine. HD rents the vermeer walk behind grinder for $70 for 4 hours or like $125 all day. I just get them lined up to do a handful at least in day. On a typical grinding day, I get about $75-150 a stump plus any topsoil and seeding they may want done. Its tough work but its decent money on a slow saturday. Those machines are reallly expensive and at less than $100 to rent for enough time to do several, I dont think it makes sense to buy one unless you really really feel there is enough market to support that hefty payment.

ankkuli
06-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I first got me a second hand 2-stroke Husqvarna grinder, but it was just too slow to work with, took up to hour and a half to clear a 20 inch stump.

Anyway, it looked like there was a need for the service, so I bought a 20 year old Rayco1620. The thing paid itself off after three weeks, and in three more weeks I could afford a new trailer. I hope I can upgrade to a bit better grinder next summer.

So for me it seems to go well, but I think it depends on the area, if there are loads of contractors dumping prices down.

For occasional grinding also a older machine will do, if you can fix it for yourself. I would not recommend anyone to purchase as old grinder as I had, 'couse for every 4 hours on duty I have to repair the thing for at least an hour...