PDA

View Full Version : Mulching blades on Walker GHS?

southside
12-10-2001, 07:21 AM
I posted a similar question around 6 months ago. Seeing as we have a whole lot of new members since then I thought I'd ask
again. Has anyone tried using a Gator or similar style blade on a
Walker GHS? Does it increase hopper capacity thereby reducing
dump cycles? Does it affect quality of cut on these mowers?

Any ideas appreciated. :)

captdevo
12-10-2001, 09:13 AM
i use raptor mulching blades on mine, it reduces the size and amount of clippings and cuts great..

Beware of Gators i purchased some gators, luckily i rotated them before running them. they hit the deck and would have caused damage.

as with any blades though, rotate by hand first.

southside
12-10-2001, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the tip. I don't think we have Raptor blades available
down here as yet. I'll ask around. I've found Gators available for
the 42" deck but not my 48" deck. I always rotate mine by hand
just to be sure. A little paranoia can't hurt. :D

captdevo
12-10-2001, 09:36 AM
raptors and einsteins are sold by Stens both work well, i prefer the raptors...they seem to hold an edge longer

http://www.stens.com/

accuratelawn
12-10-2001, 09:45 AM
I know a guy that runs the 42 mulching blades on top and 48 regular on the bottom with GHS. He sharpened the mulching blades on both sides and put them under the deck in an X patern. He states they work great for leaves.

walker-talker
12-10-2001, 09:55 AM
I put Gators on my 48" Walker GHS and they rubbed the deck also. I took and ground a couple of the fins down a hair and they worked fine, except one of the fins ended breaking off while mowing (not becaused it rubbed though). By using mulching blades on the GHS will pack the crap out of your catch. There is a catalog that sells those blades (Landscaper Supply Co.). They are about $4 cheaper per blade compared to my dealer. I would like to try those Raptors that the captain is talking about. Hopes this helps.
MATT

captdevo
12-10-2001, 11:02 AM
42's on top, hmmm....never thought of that, i'll have to check it out.

i tried doubles on my 48" and re-timed the gearbox, it worked ok but i wasn't impressed. i was afraid if i ever hit something it would make a mess of things.

Dave

Rodney Johns
12-10-2001, 11:31 AM
I agree that the gators are ok. Capt hit the nail on the head though with the risks of hitting things. You might consider holding off until the new heavy duty gear boxes come out later this year. Those things will be able to handle anything according to Walker. It may make trying out things a little safer.

captdevo
12-10-2001, 12:50 PM
In fact they're already out.

the Von Ruden HD gearboxes are available now for th sd48" and ghs 48" factory exchange is around $300

Rodney Johns
12-10-2001, 01:32 PM
Yes they are out but limited availabilty in some areas. $280 on exchange or upgrade.
$700 if you would like to just buy them to put all new on yourself. This will come complete with gearbox covers included.

Tests show that after mowing over a 1" solid steel pipe there was no damage done to any part of the gearboxes nor was there any leakage what so ever. They also come with full one year complete warranty. That is complete replacement even if a seal starts dripping.

These also an increase of blade speed on the new 56" Walker deck to 19,000 f/p/s. (about 2000 increase)

Available for 42,'s 48's, 54's and 56's.

I do not know if the warranty would cover the use of a "NON WALKER" blades, but that is what I was posting the information in regards too. These things are awesome and have the best warranty yet!

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-10-2001, 05:46 PM
I just started running the Einstein blades on my 42" walker GHS about a month ago.. Seem to create alot more vaccuum.. The only PROBLEM I had was .......

They hit the deck baffles... You need to grind about 1/8th of an inch off of the fins for it to clear... The diff between the einstein and raptor is the steel it's made of ?? ( I think )

After grinding and fitting them correctly.. I have had great results.. Better striping , Dont' think it makes much of a diff in the hopper cause dont forget the fan is also cutting up the grass too. so it gets double chopped anyway... But if you use the no catch defeltor, you will see the best results...

LJ lawn
12-10-2001, 10:58 PM
i bought the one side from landscapers supply. one because they don't have a listing for the left rotating blade. -i'll have to try the other suppliers.i also had to grind the fins to get it to clear.i would like to try out running at least both mulchers and blocking off the intake chute under the deck to let it mulch om some jobs.

BigJim
12-11-2001, 03:26 AM
Southside,my local dealer showed me a new a new mulching/side discharge 42" deck thats been developed in NZ for Walkers,it had a awesome set of choppers,single blade with 2 blades on each tip,mounted on top of each other.Ask your local dealer if blades are available over there yet.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-11-2001, 09:21 AM
That blade you got was not designed for the GHS they are for the side discharge decks where all the blades rotate in a traditional maner.. The GHS has the opposing blades.. Gator does not offer them for the 42" I think they may have for the 48" But look into the stens... They have the einstein or the raptor for the 42" and you still have to grind them down a little to clear the baffles.. Supposedly they are working on the problem but have not fixed as of yet.. But 2 minutes with the angle grinder and your set...