PDA

View Full Version : Need help on second step

daleyslawn
04-28-2008, 11:46 PM
I need some help and sugestion on what to use for the second step the first one i used baracid .29 last year it seemed to work good untill august and september than i had crabgrass problems. What can i use as a second step with the weed control that will help from me geting crabgrass?

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-29-2008, 02:15 AM
I need some help and sugestion on what to use for the second step the first one i used baracid .29 last year it seemed to work good untill august and september than i had crabgrass problems. What can i use as a second step with the weed control that will help from me geting crabgrass?

The only thing to do would be more pre-emergent... I apply out here with the first app, and then again in June. That way I get season long coverage...

daleyslawn
04-29-2008, 09:18 AM
i was thinking that and tank mixing msma with trimic for the weed control that way i can get post crabgrass if any at all came up and i was thinking about put dimesion down to

Hissing Cobra
04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
A second application of Fertilizer + a Pre-emergent control such as Dimension would work great to keep your crabgrass at bay. You'll be buying yourself an additional 90 days of crabgrass control and the cost is about the same as a bag of fertilizer with no crabgrass control.

Spraying the weeds is the best way to control them but I advise against mixing the MSMA with the Trimec. When those two products are mixed together, it creates a very "hot" mix and burning/damage to the grasses can result. I'd go with the 2nd application of a preemergent/fertilizer control and just use the Trimec on the Broadleaf Weeds.

daleyslawn
04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
So should i spray anything down for a post or just use dimension or baricaid with the trimc?

Hissing Cobra
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
If you use another dose of Pre-emergent control + Fertilizer, you won't have a need for a post emergent crabgrass control. The pre-emergent crabgrass controls don't do much for broadleaf weeds though so you will still need the Trimec for the Dandelions, Clover, Chickweed, Broadleaf Plantain, Buckhorn Plantain and other weeds.

daleyslawn
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
I know that the weeds need to be spray the problem in runing into is he crab grass coming back up in augest and september so i didnt know if i should put a post down as well to make sure no crabb grass grows

Hissing Cobra
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
You can't apply a post until the crabgrass appears. If you're in New York, you can probably follow this program and have excellent results.

April 15th - (Weather permitting) 19-0-6 Fertilizer + Dimension (90 days of Crabgrass control; wears off around July 15th)
May 27th - 19-0-6 Fertilizer + Dimension (additional 90 Days of Crabgrass control; wears off around August 27th - also doubles the protection from May 27th until July 15th)
July 8th - 24-0-5 Fertilizer + Merit (Grub Preventative)
August 19th - 28-5-12 Fertilizer + Iron
September 30th - 21-3-21 Fertilizer + Iron; Dolomitic Limestone @ 50lb/1,000 sq. ft.

This program works well in the Northeast and I have customers who follow this program with excellent results. The products I listed can be bought at any of the Lesco/John Deere Landscape Service Centers. If they don't have the EXACT product, they will have a suitable alternative. These products also have some slow releasing properties which are very important, especially during the hot, dry, summer months.

Of course, this program doesn't address weeds. That's why you'll need Trimec or Lesco's 3-Way (Restricted Use in Massachusetts) which are basically the same product. Of course, there's cheaper weed controls that are available (Lesco's Eliminate-D and PBI Gordon's Speedzone Southern) and are also sold at the Lesco/JDL stores. NONE of the Broadleaf weed controls will prevent weeds from growing. They will simply control the weeds that have already grown and are visible. Do not mow before treating and wait at least 24 hours after application to mow. Also, do not spray weeds if the air temperature is higher than 80 degrees.

I follow this program on two 11,000 sq. ft. lawns every year and have NO Crabgrass problems at all. Last year, I got ONE Crabgrass plant between the two lawns. By the time the 2nd application wears off in late August, Crabgrass is pretty much past the point of germination.

daleyslawn
04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your help ill try that and see how we go

mngrassguy
04-30-2008, 05:30 AM
Spray "Drive" in August for great post c/g control