PDA

View Full Version : Pull Out The Mowers In December? Ny

PetalsandPines
12-10-2001, 09:58 AM
Any of you guys in the northeast experiencing the unthinkable this year? It is now December 10, and many of my contracts need to be cut!! In fact a large commercial property of mine is getting quite hairy!!! Never in my short 15 year career as a landscaper have I seen anything like this!! No snow yet, no REAL HARD freezes...for God's sake some of the annuals are still blooming around here... What do I do? If I bring these mowers out now...people are going to crucify me! -SNOWY BUFFALO NY...NOT!

Premo Services
12-10-2001, 10:29 AM
It is kinda strange here also, on one of my jobs, I had trimmed the roses down and last week there was three rose blooms on the plant, and the rest of the plant was full of buds. I thought there would be no more cutting, but some customers are requesting that I make another cut to keep it looking nice, no problem, but I thought I was done cutting this year.

mdb landscaping
12-10-2001, 12:54 PM
i have a few lawns, that went dormant, and now seem to be greening up again, and starting to grow. got 2 inches of snow the other night, but supposed to be back around 60 by wednesday. some crazy weather, thats for sure.

KirbysLawn
12-10-2001, 12:59 PM
I have a few that need mowing this week, planned on doing it today but we have a little rain, just getting over the flu and bronchitits soI'm not going out in that today. Yesterday's high was 71 I think.

65hoss
12-10-2001, 01:06 PM
Keeping your properties maintained is part of it. Even if its December. If you have everything on a 12 month contract you may already have passed the # of cuts you bid on. This will go against you. But that is part of it.

bubble boy
12-10-2001, 03:34 PM
i run monthly contracts. for those of you on 12 months do you cut?

65 hoss i guess you are saying you should cut the lawns without charging more? or is there a clause that say over 30 cuts its a price per mow?

were done cleanups here and waiting for snow. not worried though, contracts are up front and paid for, so its like money for nothing. now what about the chicks for free?:D

groundsguy1970
12-10-2001, 05:26 PM
We here in Washington State mow year round. It's nothing new....bid @ 42 cuts a year.
Also here is the time of year where the monster equipt might not be able to out preform a 18".
I would be careful with the pruning I do as the freeze WILL come and you don't want to have encouraged new growth....just a thought!
It's wet and cold here :( you guys should enjoy it while it's there!:)

65hoss
12-10-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by bubble boy

65 hoss i guess you are saying you should cut the lawns without charging more? or is there a clause that say over 30 cuts its a price per mow?

Here is what I'm saying:
For your yearly price you have these #'s
32 cuts @ $40=$1280
Trim bushes 2x's @ $50 each=$100

To get your yearly amount you have:$1380
Your contract says $115 per month for 12 months. Now, its December and things are needing to be cut. You've already cut for 32 times this year. Your still in the year you have contracted. Unless your contract says for only 32 cuts you are responsible for making the other cut as part of the contracted price. If the tables were turned and you only had to cut 30 times this year, you figure you came out ahead because you got the price of 2 cuts extra. That is my point. Of course, if you were to be looking at my post thoughtfully you probably would have picked up on that. But instead, you seem to be wanting to challenge me at every corner.

bubble boy
12-10-2001, 06:20 PM
hey hoss, i wasn't challenging you. it was actualy a real question i had, guess i worded it bad. basically i figured as you said if you cut thirty times the gain is yours to keep(no refund) but i was wondering, if your contract did say thirty two would you charge her for the 33rd?

i know i confronted what you said in off topic, but that was just my opinion.

65hoss
12-10-2001, 06:34 PM
Ok, were cool. I personnally don't have a # of cuts worded. Around here your lucky to get 24 to 26 cuts per year on grass. But then again, I don't like contracts. If I feel like I need a contract to protect me, I don't really need to do biz with that person. Most of my customers came highly recommended or I came highly recommended to them from others.

Green Care
12-10-2001, 06:37 PM
DO what you have to do.Pull them out !

kutnkru
12-10-2001, 06:39 PM
P.n.P

We just had 3-6" of snowfall Saturday depending on locale. I guess you were lucky enough to have missed the first flakes of the season -LOL!!!

I would recommend that you not cut this late into the season with the colder fronts forecasted to start moving into the State this week. I dont know how short your last cut of the season was (ours was 2.25) but I went out the week before last and cut a few that had really grown since we finished the fall clean-ups.

Had the snows not hit and we were still in the middle to upper 50s I had planned to do a few more commercials today. Well needless to say they have about an inch and a half of snowfall left -LOL!!!

Kris

Lawn Dog2001
12-10-2001, 08:37 PM
I had all my mowers all cleaned up and ready for the winter, untill I had to pull them out last week. I was glad I did. I dont want my lawns laying over in the Spring. Everything is pretty easy cutting now. If you hold them off till Spring, you are just making more work for yourself.

jeffex
12-11-2001, 07:49 PM
I saw a forsythia bush still dropping its leaves while new yellow blooms were popping out all over!!! I had to cut the lawn last thurs. 72degrees nice befre xmas

BOBCAT36
12-12-2001, 08:30 PM
GIVE MOTHER NATURE A KISS AND ..GO GET THAT MONEY...WE'RE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING HERE IN THE ATL W/BURMUDA ....SO I SAY LET IT GROW LET IT GROW DAMN THE SNOW

Jerrys Lawn Service
12-12-2001, 10:16 PM
Boy I'm telling you the weather here in Maryland has been crazy. On a normal year we would be finished mowing and doing leaves by now but the phone keeps ringing,it's crazy because of the warm weather the grass is still growing.
Jerry

Lawn Dog2001
12-13-2001, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jeffex
I saw a forsythia bush still dropping its leaves while new yellow blooms were popping out all over!!! I had to cut the lawn last thurs. 72degrees nice befre xmas

I know. This is such a weird year. I have a few customers who's azeleas are starting to bloom.