PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FC420V 14HP Oil Filter

twozeroone
04-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Hello All,
I have a John Deere 175 lawn tractor. It has the Kawasaki 14 hp FC420V motor in it. I have replaced the fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, but am having loads of trouble locating the oil filter. I have looked at diagrams online of the motor and at the local john deere shop and everyone says that I definatley have an oil filter. It is not on the sides of the motor, or under the mower frame on the bottom of the mower.

The John Deere service pack even came with an oil filter in it to replace. I just have no idea where on the engine the oil filter is located?

The only thing I can think of is it could be near the exhaust under the exhaust shield on the front of the motor??? It will take a good amount of work for me to remove all of the front end to check this so I was hoping that someone would have experience with this motor and be able to tell me if I truly do have an oil filter and where it might be?
Thanks!!!!!

S DIAMOND
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
John Deere 175 lawn tractor

I'm assuming this is a residential unit cause its 14HP. If the diagram I'm looking at is right, then it would have been mounted on the side of the block?

It is an optional feature. It may not have been installed on this unit, or it may be remotely mounted. If you see lines heading out, I'd trace them. Other wise, check to see if the service cover is in place. Good Luck.

twozeroone
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Hello Diamond,
Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention that, I had a friend who is a mechanic take a look for me and he looked for lines to the back of the motor for an external filter. Said he didn't see any. What do you mean by a "Service Cover"?

S DIAMOND
04-29-2008, 10:42 AM
There would be either a plate or an obvious casting where the mounting flange would go.
The casting would be obvious, it would appear as if something is missing , a bump out, if you will, and would have a mounting boss (possibly 3 holes: 2 small and a large center), just not drilled and tapped by the factory.

I believe a cover would be in place at the same location to help conceal the area, if part of the job was already done, and would be accessible (screws holding the plate in place) to install the filter assembly provided the factory does indeed do that? Hope this helps some.:)