PDA

View Full Version : Revisting Pigweed Fireweed Pokeweed Amercian Burnweed

kappa915
04-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey guys,

Same time of year, same pigweed (or any of the similiar names that people refer to it as). Is everyone else having the same problem? We've been getting the much needed rain in Georgia. Unfortunately, that means lots of pigweed. Any suggestions. I know 2-4 D will knock it out, but is there anything else that you've guys found successful since the last time anyone posted about this. This 4-6 week period is the most difficult time of year for our Warm Season grasses. I try to notify my customers in advance of the issues via newsletters, but most just ignore them. We set up service calls (free of charge) to help alleviate the problem, but alot of times once we kill the emerged pigweed, we see new pigweed after we've sprayed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

olive123
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
pre emergents

kappa915
04-29-2008, 08:35 PM
And what pre-emergent would that be??? As far as I know, there is no pre-emergent that will prevent pigweed as it develops in the thatch layer. The thatch being above the barrier created in the soil. Anybody else?

ted putnam
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
I'd like to know too. The Fireweed is popping here in Arkansas. What a PITA! Tree seedlings can be mowed a couple of times and go away. Not this. If you miss spraying it, you can bet the customer will call and it's everyfreakinwhere!

kappa915
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I feel your pain Ted. In years past, we have sprayed all emerged pigweed, and a few days later after a good rain, we will see new pigweed growing beside some pigweed that is dying from our spray.

greendoctor
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
If the lawn is warm season turf, simazine will put a stop to weeds regerminating. Image will also act a a preemergent on many broadleaves as well. Do not use Image on grasses that are not completely out of dormancy. In my area, weeds will germinate all year long with the high temperatures and irrigation. My problem lawns are all on a mix of Gallery and simazine.