PDA

View Full Version : Rookie needs advice

BAMARED
12-10-2001, 03:27 PM
I was just going to check with you guys to see if you could offer me some tips regarding acquiring business come this Spring? I'm talking about not your usual flyering, mail-outs, etc. But actually talking to people that might possibly need my service - Ex: Realitors, graveyards, etc. In other words, where should I look to find business in unusual places?

Any advice or tips would be gratiously welcomed,

Steve Parsons

KirbysLawn
12-10-2001, 03:34 PM
You just listed the ones I avoid, no way for me. Every realitor I have ever dealt with has been problems and there is no way I would want to trim around a grave yard. My tip? Stay away from these!

gunputt
12-10-2001, 03:47 PM
I am also a rookie, but I have already landed 1 new account and am bidding on another fairly close, and both of these are new construction.

John

65hoss
12-10-2001, 03:50 PM
I agree with Ray about Realtors. But cemetaries might be different. I'm working on getting one right now. I'm bidding extra for trimming time. The customers will not be hassling you at the cemetary. Keep it looking nice and family members will be happy. You can be there as early or as late as you want. You will not be waking anyone up. No pun intended.

Talk with business people you know. Ask them about were they work. They might even get you the price of the last LCO. DON'T LOWBALL though. They may have friends that own business that they could tell you who to contact. There friends or family members might need someone. Networking is the game. Word of mouth after you get started will be the best advertising you can get. Or worst depending on you work habits.

Randy Scott
12-10-2001, 04:03 PM
gunputt, you may have landed an account and are bidding another, but have you dealt with them or done any work yet to have experience with how they take care of you or pay, or how the account really turned out after a season of work? If you have, then good, if not, you really don't know what to expect. There will always be differing opinions and what works well for others, may not for you. My experience with my customers belonging to my church for example, is quite poor. They are nothing but slow paying, penny pinchers, studying your every move, that's just my experience though, some on here have good luck with them.
I'm not saying to not market certain avenues, in fact, with starting out you should probably try them all. What works for one may not for another. I think when getting your feet wet in any industry, there is always going to be learning curves and we all will take our lumps. Both you guys, good luck and persue any and all work to pay the bills when starting out. I had, and still have to.
sparsons, virtually any area business or property that needs lawncare is a potential client. You can market them all and see what response you get. I personally am not one for walking in cold to talk to management about work. I send letters to potential clients. Although response may be greater if I show up in person, just seems pushy to me. But one may view it as aggressive and a real go getter. Hard to read people sometimes.

gunputt
12-10-2001, 04:50 PM
Randy
How many new accounts can you get, where you have dealt with the people, and know that they are going to pay on time and be the perfect customer.

I am thinking if I sit on my butt all winter and dont go after any buisness that I wll have all kinds of hardly used equipment to sell come April.

dj'slawnservice
12-10-2001, 06:50 PM
There's only one way to get clients.......CONTACT them.
If you feel more comfortable with say a letter of introduction followed by a phone call that is the way for you to go.
It's all about what you are comfortable doing......always be and show your self confidence to any prospective client !
Everyone is different, even within different markets.....you will find people who never will give you the time of day and you will see the people you can't get away from.
From what I've experienced there is no hard and fast rule......
Just GO FOR IT .
and Good Luck to you.

turfman99
12-10-2001, 07:53 PM
General contractors and builders are two more to watch out for.

I declined to bid on an artifical golf green last week, because the site superintendent was a flake and the vibes were bad. I learned a long time ago to trust my first impression.

Look for people you know or work with and see if they can give your some work. It takes a while and just does not happen over night.